Hold Me - Bradley Baker

"M-mum, come pick us up, please," Bradley announced as soon as his mum picked up the phone.

"Brad, it's the middle of the night, can't you two wait until morning? Ted and I are gonna pick you up as soon as possible," Karen mumbled sleepily.

"N-no mum please, something went bad with dad," the boy whispered as tears welled up in his eyes, his voice cracking.

His mum was now wide awake, lifting the heavy covers from her body, a groan leaving her boyfriend's mouth.

"Oh God. Brad, baby, we're coming. Where's Caleb?" She asked, worry tinting her voice.

"He's here with me. Mum, go pick Y/N up, I sent her a text, I need her with me," Bradley whispered through heavy breaths, trying to hold the tears back to keep his little brother and his mum sane.

"Okay, Honey. We're gonna be there as fast as possible,"

Ted's car stopped just in front of them after a half-hour, their mum almost jumping out of the vehicle. Caleb ran in her arms, breaking down in tears again, while his stepdad had his arm around her. Brad was left alone until his best friend exited the car.

Y/N's worried frown matched his mother's and, when she saw the young boy, she sprinted to him. Her small frame pulled him in her arms tightly, his own tears falling from his eyes.

"Brad," she whispered, smoothing his back with her hands. "It's okay, you're gonna be okay,"

"I-I don't wanna see him ever again, Y/N," he mumbled as tears kept flooding out of his eyes.

"Your mum is gonna work on that, I promise. Now, let's just go home," the young girl whispered, leaving a small kiss to his head.

The drive wasn't long, and when they got to their house, Bradley pulled Y/N in his room, engulfing her in a hug for the second time that night. He needed comfort, and she was the only one who could make him feel safe.

She helped him to take off his jacket and one of the two sweatshirts he was wearing. She took off his beanie, leaving her hands through his hair and scratching his scalp softly to soothe him.

"You wanna talk about it?" She asked, holding him close to her frame.

"I-I... C-can you hold me, Y/N?" He asked, almost breaking down again.

"Yeah, let's just lay down here, okay?" She whispered as she laid down on his bed, patting the spot next to hers. He let his body fall next to hers, holding onto her again, his head on her chest.

They stayed in silence for a couple of minutes, Bradley too wrapped up in his own thoughts whilst Y/N waited for him.

They had been friends for ages, since the day she calmed him down from fighting her bully in primary school, and no one could tear them down. Y/N loved the guy with her whole heart, more than a friend was supposed to, and he secretly felt the same way.

"Caleb found his gun under his bed when we first got to his house, and he decided to bring us to learn how to shoot. He drank and I told him he couldn't drive in those conditions, so he gave me the keys and told me to drive. Caleb was messing around, I lost control and the car got stuck in some snow. We had to sleep a night there, it was so fucking cold and when we woke up he told us we had to find a cabin on the other side of the mountain or something like that.

"We told him about moving to London and he went crazy, Y/N. He started to scream and hurt his arm, and it freaked me out so bad," Brad whispered, tightening his grip on his best friend's body. "But, you know, I-I couldn't show him he was affecting me like that, Caleb would have lost his shit too and he would have just made fun of us,

"After a while, we were walking to the cabin, and apparently we were on thin ice and I fell inside freezing water. He helped me out and brought me inside the cabin. I-I was so scared, like what if we didn't make it in time and I was going to die because of hypothermia?" The young man whispered through the tears. She was crying too at that moment, the thought of losing the only person she loved dawning her.

"So w-we stayed at the cabin for a couple of days before these two guys joined us, and he didn't have a great feeling about them. He left us alone for a whole day and one of the two guys was missing. I convinced Caleb to leave and go find a safe place to stay, but when we were leaving he found us and brought us back and locked us inside the back room," Bradley said, his breathing getting quicker by the second, his body shaking against hers, he was having a panic attack.

"Brad, bubs, you need to breathe for me," she whispered as she tried to help him. "Like you do with me all the times, in and out," Y/N breathed with him, her hands soothing his back. He gained control of his breath after a couple of minutes, using his sleeve to dry the tears on his and Y/N's face.

"We got out of the house by opening up the wooden floor and crawling outside. We found the other french guy on the way that helped us run away from dad and to his truck. Dad probably had beaten him to death. He followed us to the truck and wanted us to stop but we sped away, and then I called you and you got us and here we are," Brad mumbled the end, hugging her tight to his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Brad," Y/N whispered, some tears leaving her eyes too. "I'm so sorry,"

"It's okay, I-I mean it isn't, but now I'm safe and that's all that matters," he whispered, leaving a reassuring kiss to her forehead.

"You need to sleep," the girl said, a hand on his cheek.

"You do too," Bradley chuckled. "Spend the night, please," he asked.

"Okay," Y/N smiled at the boy cuddled to her before turning the lights off and returning to her previous position on the bed.

—–

Bradley woke up in the night, his peaceful sleep interrupted by nightmares of his dad. Tears were shed by the two teens trying to calm down each other, but eventually, morning came and Brad woke up.

The sun was shining through the curtains, illuminating Y/N's sleepy face, and Bradley would have sworn she was the prettiest sight on earth. Her soft hands were wrapped around his torso as soft huffs left her mouth. Her hair was a mess, but he liked her the way she was.

"I love you," he whispered.

"Mh?" She hummed sleepily, eyes still closed.

"I-I said... 'I-I called you'," Brad mumbled, his cheeks turning red.

"No, you said something else,"

"No! I-I said 'I called you'!"

"You said 'I love you'," Y/N mumbled, smiling up at him.

"I-I didn't!"

"You did, don't lie to me," she giggled.

Silence filled the room as Bradley tried to find an answer, looking at everything but his best friend's eyes. "Okay, fine, I did!" He mumbled.

"You're in love with me?" She asked.

"I-I am, I mean, I've been for a while. I just thought you saw me as just a friend, a-and you just looked so beautiful laying in my arms while the sun shone in your face, a-and when you held me yesterday my feelings just grew even more, a-and-" he was cut off by a pair of lips smashing against his. The kiss was sweet, almost shy, as the two of them held each other tightly.

"I love you too, idiot,"

Mar 09, 2020