Chapter 19- Happy Birthday to me

Emma's POV
(unedited)

Today is my birthday and I don't really want to celebrate it but my mom told me that it's my 18th birthday, so I need to have a party. Why do people have the need to organize a party?

I mean, all you do, is sit there with your friends and party all night, that's if you have friends but in my case I only wish to sit in my bed all day and watch Netflix while eating icecream and pizza. That's the best gift anyone could give me, to let me live my life in silence and just let me watch my favorite TV shows.

Sometimes I wonder if the people that come to your birthday party are only there for the free food or they really come to celebrate another year of your life with you. I mean, some of them I don't even know, like they just come inside and start eating our food or they come without a gift.

I don't really enjoy gifts that much and some people may say that gifts are the most important part of the party but isn't a birthday party supposed to be about celebrating another year of being alive with your relatives and friends? Sometimes I really wonder if people like going to a party just cause of spending time with other people or is it just about gifts and who comes?

If you ask me, I'll say that it's more about being happy on that day and actually not caring who comes cause in the end the ones that come, even if they hear that there's no food, no boys and no alcohol are your true friends.

I told my mom that all I want is to just stay in my room all day with a pizza box and my laptop but of course, she wouldn't take a 'no' this year.

Last year she went shopping with me for my birthday and all I've bought was a T-shirt. My mom had over 10 bags in her hands that were full of clothes. I don't even know how she managed to put them in her closet. Alyson takes after mom, cause she's into fashion and loves shopping.

My mom invited everyone from my agenda. She took my phone last night, and she texted all of my contacts. I think that my mom is trying way too hard to make this party awesome. She even hired a DJ. The thing is that the only people I have in my phone, are my mom, Alyson, Dylan, Adam and Skylar. So my mom went to the next option, inviting everyone from Alyson's agenda. She's a senior so she has a lot of friends. Friends that don't exactly like me or that don't even know my name let alone know that it's my birthday. So yeah, the only reason that they'll be here is for the alcohol.

I will probably stay one hour and then go back to my room, put my headphones on and watch Supernatural.

"Emma!" I heard my mom yell from downstairs as I sighed and closed my laptop where I was writing an article for the school's newspaper.

"Yes, mom!" I yelled back and she didn't answered. Why are parents always like this? They call your name and don't respond until you come to them.

I got out of my bed and left my laptop on my nightstand so that when I'll be back I could continue the article. As I went down the stairs and  when I saw that there was a 5 feet tall ice sculpture in front of me I froze. Funny cause the sculpture was frozen too so it was like looking into my reflection.

"Can you help me with the ice sculpture?" She asked as I mumbled something and then got out of my shocked state.

"Mom, I've told you that I don't want a big party;" I said while putting my hands in my pocket and looked at the sculpture. Isn't it going to melt? Who buys an ice sculpture without having a big freezer, like the ones in a restaurant or
"I know but it's your 18th birthday honey." She said smiling.

I helped her with the sculpture and then went outside.

I went to the park so that I could have some time alone.