Chapter 23 - The Winter Formal

Some feelings can't be mutual and it hurts.

Emma's POV
(unedited)

Today is the day.

The day when Adam will take me to the winter formal. I'm pretty nervous because I think that I'm starting to have feelings for him but I don't think that he feels the same way. I'm scared that if I confess my feelings he will reject me. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to tell him how I feel. I never actually felt that way with anyone else.

So here I am, in my dress in front of my mirror thinking how somebody like him could ever like someone like me. I looked down at my dress and sighed. I don't usually wear dresses because they make me uncomfortable but, well, I want this night to be magical.

I'm not special. I'm just a weirdo that barely talks to anyone, likes reading on wattpad and who loves Tv shows and eating. But in my book being like this is better than going out. Going out might be fun for others but for me it's just a no. I don't have a lot of friends and I'm not going out unless we're going to a coffee shop or a park.

I'm not like all the other girls who like shopping and going to the mall every day. I would rather stay inside and fall asleep to an episode of TVD and just wear whatever I have in my closet for the winter formal. This year, it's going to be different, because Adam is my partner so it's going to be the best night ever, hopefully. My heart is beating so fast and I applied my makeup for the 3rd time now. I'm scared. I hate makeup but even if I hate it I'll wear it for the night.

I heard the doorbell ring so I started panicking. Will he like me like this? In a dress? I took my phone and a jacket with me then took one last look at my room. I looked at the picture that was hanging from the wall with me and Jack.

"Wish me luck." I whispered as I closed the door.

I went downstairs as I heard my mom and dad talking to Adam. My dad's voice was stern which meant that he wasn't ok with Adam taking me to the winter formal. Well, my dad never actually liked Adam cause he knows that Adam is, well, Adam. I can't judge Adam cause who am I to judge someone that I barely know anything about? Yes, we're friends but he's mysterious and has a lot of secrets.

"If she's not home by 11 p.m. you and I will have a talk, mister." I heard my dad demanding. I cover my mouth with my hand to cover my laugh.

"Dad, you're scaring him." I said as everyone's eyes fell on me. I went near Adam and looked at everyone around me.

My mom started crying as she remained there frozen with a camera in her left hand and tissues in the other. Adam couldn't take his eyes away off of mine and dad froze. I laughed as I looked down blushing.

"11 p.m.!" Repeated my dad as Adam coughed and gave him a handshake.

"Yes, sir." Adam looked down while saying that and I felt so sorry that my dad really got to him.

He took my hand and put a corsage on it. It looked so beautiful. It was a black corsage and it had small black roses along with four white roses.

We went to his car and his mom was on their doorstep looking at us and once again, she winked at me. Maybe she has an allergy? But people don't wink from allergies?

Adam opened the door for me and I entered his car while holding my dress. He got inside and started the car.

"Hey, hoodie girl." Said Adam as I was looking outside at the stars.

"That's not my name." I said with a small laugh.

"I'll take care of you tonight, you have my word." I looked into his eyes and once again, they were flooded with emotions.