Chapter 9- About That Night

Emma's POV

Today is the day...the day everything changed, the night that I've put my walls up, 3 years ago. Sometimes I wish I could just forget about it or just pretend like it never happened like everyone does but I can't. I tried so hard to forget about him, to forget about all the beautiful moments but I can't. Some memories get imprinted in your brain and you just can't forget about them no matter how hard you try to. Some people are so important that once they leave you don't know how to live without them and it's like you forgot how it is to live after they left.

Sometimes you can't even look at their photo without bringing back memories that hurt you so much that you end up overthinking. You try to get past them but wouldn't that mean that you never really cared about them if it was so easy to forget about them?

His name was Jack. We were best friends and he was so possessive around me that he never let anyone even look at me. We used to live next-door so we used to play a lot in my backyard or his. We used to stay awake for days and just forget about life together. We used to make each other's lives better.

I wiped my tears from my face as I got up from my bed with a groan and brushed my hair with my hands while resting my elbows on my knees.

How can life be so unfair with some people? I thought while laying down on my bed and tried to think about our first adventure,

''Catch the ball or I'll catch you!'' Yelled Jack as I smiled while putting my long brown hair in a ponytail prepared to catch the ball.

''Whenever you're ready!" I said while he threw the ball at me as I ran to the end of my backyard. The ball went so fast over my head and before I could catch it, it landed in Ms. Gerrald's garden and a shiver went down my spine.

''Nice job, now what?" Asked Jack while fixing his hair with his hand and then crossed his arms over his chest. I looked at Jack, then at the fence that was putting a distance between me and the ball. I looked at Jack again while shrugging as he just smiled and shook his head.

''Help me climb the fence." He said as I just stared at him dumb folded trying to see if he was joking but he just dragged me by my hand till we reached the lowest part of the fence. He looked into my eyes while taking both of my hands, and placing them in front of me. He put a hand on my shoulder as I just sat there with my mouth wide opened, afraid of what will happen if we get caught.

''Whatever happens, don't run. If you run it will look suspicious. If you see that someone's coming just hit the fence with the baseball bat and I'll know when to abandon the mission." Said Jack as he got over the fence and fell on the other side of the fence. I nodded and after that rolled my eyes.

Why am I nodding? He can't even see me. I thought as I took a peek through a hole that was made in the fence. Jack got near the ball, looked around, picked it up slowly and then started looking around as I tried to yell at him to come back because he's going to risk for us to be caught.

''Wow, so many neat stuff." He said as I heard someone coming and I slowly looked away from the fence to see none other than Ms. Gerrald. My eyes went wide as I took the baseball bat and hit the fence once. No respond. Twice. Silence. I started screaming and I heard someone climb up the fence.

''Shit, RUN!" Yelled Jack as I started running but because of my small legs I couldn't keep up with him so he stopped and picked me up as he run away from Ms. Gerrald that was holding a broom in her hand, prepared to fight.

"Naughty kids, if I ever catch you here again I'm going to call the police!" She yelled after us as Jack started laughing. I just held onto him as he stopped running. I closed my eyes and just started laughing along with him.