6: kou minamoto

"Hey, Kou!! Over here!!" You screamed to get his attention with a joyful tone to your voice. He quickly spotted you and turned away to his friends.

Kou was your childhood friend, and you just so happened to have fallen in love with him.

Recently, though, the two of you have been separating, Kou with his friends, and you with, well.. Nobody. He's been avoiding you for quite some time, now.. and you wonder why.

Is it a girl? Mabye it's that girl I see him with all the time.. But she's a high school student, why would he crush on one of our senpais...? You laughed to yourself; the thought of Kou falling in love with an older person is just.. so absurd, yet so predictable.

Content and completely fine that Kou had once again successfully avoided you the whole day, you began to walk home. Something felt off, though. Usually, Kou and you would walk home together, but ever since he met a girl with long white hair and swollen ankles, he's been avoiding you like the plague, and your walks together have quickly disappeared.

"Ahh.. it's so hot out.. I wish it were colder, like some north american continent.. Mabye Canada.. yeah, Canada would work.. It's got maple syrup sticky sweetness on a sticky stick. Haha... sticky sticks..." You kept rambling on and on to yourself as the summer heat consumed you.

The loud sound of cicadas only made it worse and you quickly lost hope of walking home with Kou and began walking home yourself. Each and every step was like walking on hot coal. You would book it if you had the strength, but having a track and field club meeting right after school really wore you out.

Your feet kept trudging step by step as your eye lids grew heavy each passing second. My mind is an enigma.. that's not right.. egigma? No, eminga? Ehinga? Haha 'ehinga". You laughed to yourself exhaustedly as your body grew heavier. "Hah.. hah.."

Suddenly, something didn't feel right. Something on your head. You mindlessly pit your hand on top of your head to feel what had invaded your special space.

You felt salmon. Raw salmon, and it was sizzling on your hair as if it were on a stovetop.

Well, if nothing else surprised you, this did. "AAAAHHHHHHHHHH WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!!??" You screamed.

Suddenly, everything went black.

--

"..(Y/N)..?" You heard a voice, it was as soft as a kitten. "(Y/N)!" There it was again, calling your name. This time it was louder. You looked around, to see a world of fantasy around you. Giant mushrooms and pastel snails. The sky was a starry night and the rivers glowed in bioluminescence.

"(Y/N)!!!" Suddenly, you woke up from your dream. Kou shook you by the shoulders. "Why the heck are you in the middle of the sidewalk in this summer heat?! You know better than to do that!" He yelled with concern written all over his voice.

"Yeah, sorry, Kou.. I guess I just blacked out.. You know how it's been.. pretty hard, recently.." You mumbled. You rubbed the back of your head in embarrassment, still averting your eyes from your childhood friend, Kou as he ruffled your hair playfully.

"You know, you always have me!!" Kou reassured. "If you have any supernatural problems, come to me, I'll be open!!" He claimed in confidence.

Nah, not really, Kou.. You avoid me like the plague.. You thought briskly. Your gaze still stuck on the sidewalk.

"What was that, (Y/N)? I didn't catch that.." Crap, he heard me. You eyes slightly widen in shock, but your gaze is fixed upon the ground, refusing to look him in the eyes. "Look at me, (Y/N), I can't help you if you dont tell me your problems." Kou said with much more concern in his voice.