14: tsuchigomori

"That's a good illustration for the new building, (Y/N)." Mr. Tsuchigomori says.

"You think so?" You grinned cheekily, slightly blushing. Tsuchigomori looks away, and continues onto his own buisness. You were an engineer working for the construction of the new school building.

"Mr. Tsuchigomori?" You call out his name almost hesitantly.

"Yeah?" He responds nonchalantly.

"Well.. truth be told, I'm going to miss the old building.." You confessed. You bit your thumb nervously, a light blush covering your cheeks.

"And why is that?" He asked. He actually knew why, he was one of your teachers way back when.

"I used to be a student here, and this school was my life.. I had friends, good grades, and school was a great pastime, for me.." You spoke as you played with your thumbs. "It feels like the memories of what I accomplished in this school won't be recognized anymore, like it wouldn't matter, thanks to the new building.."

"I'm sure lots of the older staff would remember it."

"Until they get older and die.." You chuckled jokingly. Then, a sigh escaped your lips as you lowered your head. "All things come to an end eventually.."

That's not true, Tsuchigomori thought. I'll still remember, and the others will remember,

-timeskip-

You were working on building the new school building. The distance between you and the ground seemed extremely high- so much so that you could die if you weren't careful.

Carefully drilling in nails here and there, you tried your best not to mind the fear driving height you were at.

Suddenly, you saw a little bunny at the other side of a window you were attaching.

This shocked you so much so, that you lost your balance and fell.

Is this how I die..? You thought. The feeling of the air rushing was you was exhilarating, it brought a smile to your face. Your tears flew up into the sky as you fell down. I never got to bid the school farewell..

Suddenly, some courage still left in you bursted out from within. "I'M NOT READY TO DIE!!" You shouted

Everything went black.

[Timeskip]

You spoke up in a hospital bed, your head ached and your body hurt exceedingly. Luckily, you only suffered minor injuries here and there.

Your breathing was hectic. I almost died.. You thought in awe. HOLY CRAP, I ALMOST DIED!! The thought kept repeating in your head. "I almost died!!" You screamed in surprise, which caught a few faces. "Oops.."

"You have a strong sixth sense, (Y/N). You know that, right?" You heard a voice. It held familiarity.

"Mr. Tsuchigo..?" That was the name of one of your former teachers before Tsuchigomori had to change his name. You turned around to see "Mr. Tsuchigomori!! I am so sorry, your voice just reminded me of one of my past teachers, and-"

"Geez, calm down, human." He interrupted you, scoffing.

"Wait- human?" You asked, confused.

"Let's just say I'm not human." Tsuchigomori clicked his tongue as you stared at him in both awe and confusion. "But I am the poor spirit that had to save you from certain death."

"Oh- well thanks for that!" Yiu thanked him graciously.

"Well, anyways, now that the cat out of the bag, I've wanted a human assistant for quite a while, now.." Tsuchigomori started. "And you seem like a good candidate."

"Huh?!" You gasped, rushing up your bed (those beds in anime nurse offices) to face him. "What?" Suddenly you felt a crack. "Ouch.."

"Geez, stop moving so much, you're gonna kill the one good candidate I found this century."

"Sorry.. I-I just. Uhm.. Well.. I can't really wrap my head around this..." You said, rubbing your hand at the back of your neck sheepishly. "It's just.. really surprising, you know.."

"Well you better wrap your head around it, I can't have a braindead assistant." Mr. Tsuchigomori smirked. "Get well, soon, I've already set up your paperwork so you can work at the school once it's finished."

"Y-yeah.." You smiled sheepishly at him as he exited the nurse's office.

--

Tsuchigomori was a terrible leader. He left you as his assistant completely blind, expecting you to already know the answer.

Every time you ask a question, Spidey Mc. Spider-Face would give you the same answer: "Shouldn't you already know now?" and scoff.

It took you long enough to be smart enough to take the hint that maybe he didn't want you to ask him for help, and so you adapted. You stopped asking Tsuchigomori questions and eventually found everything on your own.

He probably doesn't know how much I'm trying my best to help.. You thought, sighing while you order some heavy hard-cover books alphabetically.

Dozing off into your own thoughts, you fail to notice a certain spider's hands waving in front of your tired face.

"-n). (Y/N). (Y/N), wake up, you slacker." A voice snaps you out of your little daydream, the voice of none other than the spider-face himself, Tsuchigomori.

He chuckles a little, before smirking. That's a rare sight. "Got any questions for me, (l/n)?" He asked.

Yo, this is my chance. Taking your chance, you scoff and answer: "Shouldn't you know already?" You imitate his voice and move your hair around to resemble the rumour somewhat.

Tsuchigomori sighs, before he once again speaks uncharacteristically. "Sorey about that.." You swore that you could see him blush, but before you can put your finger on it, Spidey Mc. Spider-Face pats your head for a split second and walks away.

Once you let that sink in, your face immediately heats up. Your legs get wobbly and weak as you fail to understand what just happened. Were you dreaming? Were you daydreaming? Sure. It was that.

Or maybe you're falling..

You just hope that he's falling, too.

Edit: Fixed some errors and removed some of the cringe. Combined the two parts.