[46] Alone

That morning came sooner then I would have liked. It's been four weeks since I've seen Easton face to face. He phones every day, but when he does the call is never longer than an hour. I miss him beyond words and I've never felt so alone. It's sad to think that him being away has left me more alone than when I lost my parents but it has. I think it's because when I lost my parents I had Claire, and this time around I'm trying to be strong.

Tonight I'm having dinner with Shay and Amara. They've both been keeping a close eye on me and I spend lots of time with them even though I have chosen to stay at home.

Buzzz buzzz buzzzz

"Hello?" I answer quickly recognising the foreign phone number

"Hi Sweetheart." Easton smiles on the other end of the line

"You're calling early tonight." I respond with a smile, the sound of his voice enough to turn my sad mood around.

"We have a few things to do tonight so I wanted to call you now or I knew you'd worry."

"I worry about you no matter what East." I remind

"I know baby, and I'm sorry. If all goes well I should be in a few weeks"

"We only have four weeks before she's due East."

"Before the baby is born, that's the aim Sweetheart." He takes a deep breath "I have to go, but Aubrey I love you, so, so, so much you know that right?"

"I love you too Easton, and I miss you."

"I miss you too" The line goes quiet for a moment before he speaks again "Aubrey" his voice breaks softly "Never forget how much I love you and our baby girl. I promise you I will come back to you."

"Easton, I feel like you're trying to say goodbye to me, is something wrong?"

"Just listen carefully, I will come back to you."

"Okay." I all but whisper "I love you East."

"I love you sweetheart." and without another word, the line goes dead.

I arrive at Shay and Lane's home at around six, our usual dinner time. I make my way through the door using my spare key and head right for the kitchen where the strong aroma of food is coming from.

"Hey." I smile softly

"Hey honey," Shay says in an upbeat tone as she looks up from the pan and places down the spatula, making her way over and giving me a hug "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." I give her a soft smile "Easton phoned me just before I arrived"

"Lane phoned me as well, how was Easton?" She questions as she gets back to cooking

"He seems a little off, he kept telling me that he'd come home to me and he's trying to get home before the baby is born."

"I think he's just missing you honey, and I know he's very stressed about you being in the house alone."

"Was it selfish of me to want to stay in the house? Should I have just come and stayed here with you and Amara to put his mind at rest?"

"No sweetie, you don't have to feel bad for choosing to stay in your own home."

"I just feel like maybe I'd put his mind of ease a little if I came and stayed here."

"If that's what you want, you know you're always welcome here."

"Hey sister!" Amara smiles as she makes her way down the stairs

"Hey." I give her a soft smile "where's Oli?"