Chapter 35 : Nightmare

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

She's a Greek goddess,

The spirit of friendship and affection.

She was the daughter of Nyx,

goddess of the night.

She's Philotes.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I was running. But I had no idea why. My heart thumped furiously in my chest as my lungs and feet ached with every movement. They burned in protest, gladly stalling me. I wasn't home. Instead, I was on a highway that led straight for a horizon. A wide range of forests stretched far and wide on either side of the road.

How did I get here? And why do I feel like I'm evading something dangerous?

My head snapped to the left when a guttural roar emanated from the shrouded forests. Dread crept into my bones.

Something was following me.

I pumped my feet faster and noticed a dark shape, the size of a truck, running to my side. The full moon wasn't enough to reveal it. I never knew why it chased me. Maybe I had done something wrong. Whatever it was, I can't get caught no matter what. 

The creature blended back into the shadows but I kept running, not sure It was safe yet. The next second, it sprinted unto the road before me, making me skid to a stop. I was breathing fast, my heart at the brink of lurching from my heaving chest.

I clenched my damp hands. The heat on my skin brought comfort against the strong wind. My black nightgown whisked under the breeze -- a flurry dress that hugged my chest. Its edge ended a few inches above my knee. It made me wish I had a night coat.

I turned back to my current predicament. The beast growled before taking a step forward. It rose to its hind limbs. Even from a distance, I knew it was gigantic. My head could barely reach its broad dark hairy chest. Something spread strongly from its back, making its form impossibly huge. It stretched on its side like a thick, jagged blanket lined with horns.