Part 11 - Stain

The elevator hadn't been shut down yet, but when the doors opened on the bottom floor, you saw a sea of shattered glass. Something attacked the building and the streets were filled with people clumped together.

"What's happening?" you said aloud.

"No idea," Shinso muttered, "Watch your step."

You tiptoed over the glass minefield and left through the giant hole in the wall. People were shouting various things that didn't seem to make any sense, but one phrase stuck out to you.

"The Hero Killer!"

You shivered. This villain had to be extremely powerful to be able to kill so many heroes... It made you sick to your stomach. Who would do this, and why? Most villains killed heroes if the heroes were in their path. You hadn't heard of a hunter of heroes before.

"Let's get you home," Shinso's face was serious. You nodded and the two of you weaved through the mass of pedestrians. The air dropped in temperature, and you weren't sure you were trembling from fear or the cold.

Up ahead, one of the city's heroes blocked off the street you were approaching, forcing you to stop. "Everyone remain calm and stay back!"

"There has to be a detour," you said, "Come on."

You led Shinso this time, towards an alley you used quite frequently when you wanted to take a shortcut out of downtown. It was dark, and you were glad Shinso was with you. When you turned out of the alleyway, a powerful metallic smell hit you like a truck. Instantly, your stomach churned, and you searched for the source of the scent.

"(Y/N)!" Shinso grabbed you and pulled you back, but you already saw it. The corpse lying in a pool of blood. The street you entered was eerily empty, due to the heroes keeping the area secure. They blocked off more of the city than you thought...

"W-We have to check on h-him," you said. Shinso didn't look like he agreed, but he approached the body of the now-dead hero. You felt tears in your eyes as you starred at the poor soul. You recognized him, but he wasn't one of the big-name heroes, like All Might.

Suddenly, you noticed one of his fingers twitched.

"Shin..." you gasped, and out came a new nickname, "I think he's alive!"

You put pressure on the huge wound in his chest, earning a pitiful groan from the hero. Shinso already had his phone out and called an ambulance. Your sweater was now stained with blood, but that didn't matter. This man's life mattered.

You had to save him.

Shinso ripped off his own sweater. He tied it around the man's back and across his chest, pulling on the sleeves tightly, before putting more pressure on the bleeding cut.

"Hitoshi?" you said, "S-Should we get one of the heroes? They aren't far..."

You stopped. Your chest turned to ice. As soon as you considered running back down the alley in which you came, a tall, horrible figure stood blocking the way. His face was half-hidden by a red headband, and he had a matching tattered scarf across his neck. His biceps were as large as your entire body, and his black boots looked like they could crush skulls.

The worst was the sharp blades in his hands.

"I was certain he was dead. You're more resilient than I thought," he said.

You felt the injured man trembling, unable to do much of anything else. At this rate, he was going to pump out the rest of his blood with how scared he was. You were shaking too, but you had to do something, even if it was just stalling for time.