Part 12 - Everything's Changin'

Your sniffles could be heard from beneath your blanket cocoon. 

It was 2 am when you were finally released from the police station. Midnight brought both you and Shinso back to the house and made some hot tea. You couldn't hear a word anyone said, but you could feel Shinso's arm resting on top of you. 

During your depressed trance, you and Shinso ended up on the couch with your head in his lap.  You were completely encased in a fluffy blanket, shrouded in darkness and the smell of lavender detergent. When Shinso's hand rubbed your back, you let out a tiny sob.

"(Y/N)," Midnight's voice cooed, "Let me see your pretty face."

"Not right now..." you muttered.

You heard your aunt sigh, "Are you sure your parents don't mind, Shinso dear?"

"Yeah, they're good..." he said, "They know (Y/N) is shaken up."

"Well, if you need anything, let me know. I probably won't be sleeping tonight either. I'm glad you're both alright. I'm so sorry you had to see that..."

"Thank you, Miss Midnight."

"You can call me Nemuri Kayama," she said. Her heels clicked across the room, "Thank you for looking after my girl," she added.

As soon as Midnight was in her room, you let the tears fall even harder. The flood gates were open. You didn't want to be the hero who cried - the hero who couldn't save someone from a brutal death. But there you were. 

"(Y/N)..." Shinso's deep voice soothed your eardrums, "Talk to me." 

"I can't..." you whispered.

"But I miss your voice," you could hear a smile.

You were starting to sweat under the blanket, so you at least let your face free. You knew you looked like a blubbering baby, but Shinso didn't flinch. There was a little sadness in his eyes, but his smile was the same. 

"There she is," he said, "You don't have to be okay right now... But I'm going to check on you anyway." 

"Shin..." 

"Yeah?"

"We didn't save him," you clutched at your blanket, "We had him, he was so close to the ambulance and he died anyway. And... they didn't even catch Stain."

His eyelids lowered.

"How can I ever be a hero? I can't handle this. I'm responsible-"

"No," his stern tone shocked you, "No. It is not your fault. The only reason he lived any longer than he did is because of you. I shouldn't have..."

He stopped himself, but you pestered him, "What?"

"I just shouldn't have let you see him."

"You would've left him there?" you asked.

"I don't know," Shinso rubbed his eyes, "I could've avoided putting ourselves in danger and inconveniencing the pros. I know we're enrolled in UA but..." his hand grabbed your shoulder a little too tight, "I thought I was going to lose you. In an instant."

"That would be a shame," you said, "Considering I'm your only friend..."

He turned, "Making jokes again? This is good."

You scoffed, but got more serious again, "We got out of there because of you. You were a hero tonight."

You could tell he was pleased with your flattery, but he leaned his head back and closed his eyes, "Is that so?"