S2 Part 19 - Dabi Started the Fire! It Was Always Burning...

Since the worlds been turning! Sorry - long ass title 🤣

"We can take these lame wannabes on our own!" Bakugo said.

He complained the entire way back to camp. You were able to lose Toga and Twice thanks to Bakugo's grand rescue, but that didn't slow you down.

The two of you ran as fast as you could, using your quirks to maneuver through trees. Bakugo glowered, reluctant to leave the fight but following you seemed to distract him from his bloodlust.

"Where's your stupid boyfriend anyway?" He asked, "Did he ditch you when the villains showed up?"

"N-no," your heart dropped at the mention of Shinso, "He was never here in the first place."

"The hell kind of nonsense is that?"

You paused, but only for a moment to hopefully explain what you didn't even fully understand, "It wasn't Shinso. That girl back there, she... turned into him, somehow. Must be her quirk."

"Great," he spat, "And I'll bet they have zombie-boy locked up somewhere waiting for you."

For some reason, you expected Bakugo to argue with you or call you crazy. But he listened. You underestimated the hot-head; beneath all the rage was a boy really wanting to be a hero.

The best hero, who would viciously destroy his competitors and anything in his path - but still.

"I'm sure you're right," you said, humbled by his trust, but also troubled by the truth in his words.

"You better not do something stupid like surrender. If that's your plan tell me now so I can knock some sense into you."

"Decision pending..."

"What was that?!"

"Nothing," you said, "Lets focus on finding the others."

"Now you're telling me what to do?! See if I rescue your ass again."

There was a shortcut down a steep hill but you decided to take it anyway. Bakugo was right on your tail, until a blast of blue flames cut between you.

The heat was unlike anything you have ever felt before - including Shoto's quirk! The fire didn't touch you but it may as well have. Your skin screamed at the intensity and you swear some of your arm hairs were singed.

You rolled down the hill just to get space between yourself and the blue hell. The cool air felt like an ice pack soothing your warm body.

Once you were done pretending to parkour, you looked back to see where Bakugo ended up.

"Katsuki!" You called.

"Keep going!" you heard his voice from the opposite side of the wall of flames, "I can handle myself!"

"But-"

"I said go!"

You knew better than to argue. He would just fight you and you would take too long finding help. Still, the hero instinct inside of you felt torn leaving him behind.

Don't make me regret this, Katsuki...

Guilt pulled you like a magnet back to Bakugo and the fire, but you kept telling yourself that he was fine. He would rather die than lose to anyone... which honestly didn't make you feel any better.

Even if you could find just one person, someone to relay the message for you, then you could go back for him.

Please, someone, anyone?!