Part 25 - Dark Knight

You had about an hour before the one on ones began.

At first, you joined everyone for lunch in the cafeteria, but the mood was too heavy. Ojiro kept giving you weird looks, and so was Uraraka. If she was upset, almost everyone felt it. Of course, she was sad - she didn't make it into the next round.

But, if you had to guess, you were a big cause of her distress.

Iida tried his best to keep everyone's heads on straight but dealing with a girl's emotions was a fruitless endeavor. She never voiced it, but it was possible Uraraka had a crush on Izuku. And you'd just kissed him in front of the whole world. Now everyone was ticked at you, even Shinso apparently.

You excused yourself from lunch and decided to go for a walk instead. Some meditating would do you good, you thought. Unfortunately, the arena was packed inside and out.

A few pro heroes even approached you and congratulated you. Most wanted to ask about your quirk. You did your best to answer honestly - as they could be potential employers one day.

The walk was useless, so you hid inside one of the corridors deep in the stadium. You just wanted to sit and think. You felt like you were drowning in guilt. What did you think was going to happen? That you could continue with your shenanigans and it wouldn't hurt anyone?

You were always going to hurt someone...

You heard footsteps from the other end of the hall. They'd find your spot on the floor, but you didn't care right now. You just pulled your knees in so that they had room to walk past you.

"What are you doing here?"

You looked up, leaning your head against the wall, "Oh, hey, Shinso..."

His frown deepened, "Come on. Don't tell me you lost your steam already."

"I'm not in the mood for encouragement," you said.

"No? In the mood for something else, then."

You closed your eyes, "Okay. What is it, Hitoshi? I get that we're competitors but you've been acting like... ugh. We agreed not to be pushovers but you are pushing me over right now - over a ledge called: 'We're Not Friends Anymore'."

Shinso grits his teeth. He took a few breaths before deciding to sit down as well. He sat across from you with his long legs brushing against yours. "I can't help it..."

"Can't help what?" you asked.

He looked like he was in pain. His eyes squinted at the floor and his jaw was so stiff you worried about his teeth, now, "I can't stand it. Watching you with that little idiot."

"Midoriya?"

"I don't care what his name is," he growled, "I thought I could handle it. It was so much easier when it was out of sight, out of mind, but seeing you kiss someone else is like a hot poker through to the chest."

"It didn't mean anything like that..."

"Maybe not to you."

"Stop," you practically begged.

"Maybe you didn't see his face? I did," he glowered, "I know a lovesick puppy when I see one."

You crossed your arms. You didn't want to look at him. His stupid, adorable face was making you angry at the moment.

"You hesitated," he hardly spoke louder than a whisper. That raspy voice that usually spread warmth through your body now made you want to run away, "Back there, you were going to choose him. Why?"

"He's a friend," you shrugged, "That's all. I was torn, and you weren't making it easy on me. In fact, you were being kind of an ass about it."

"Fine," he said, "I'm an ass." His expression turned a little scary again. He leaned forward and grabbed onto your ankles. You yelped as you were dragged towards him. He definitely got stronger - good for him. Dang it, I suck at being mad at him...