Chapter 2

(Colby)

  The tension around us was surely awkward as we walked through the empty school halls. The rest of the students were already munching on food in the cafeteria, leaving only me and the oddly chill jock walking through the halls. If there's one thing I learned, jocks hate tutors. Or at least this one does.

I rushed a little after Sam, not having the sporty legs he had, and tried walking alongside him. "So, S-Sam when do you-" I began but was cut off almost instantly. "Look, nerd, I don't need a tutor. So go along and fuss around with your friends or something. I can handle this." With that, he walked past me and over to his group of friends sitting at one of the tables close by.

I sighed lightly and adjusted my backpack before walking past their table. I chose one of the empty tables far ahead and took a seat. I pulled out my packed lunch and began unwrapping the paper when snickering erupted by me. Before I could react, a figure plopped down on the table, placing their feet on the chair near me and leaning back.

I glanced up briefly, paling when I made out who the figure was. "What's for lunch, shortcake?" Jake hummed, snatching away my half-unwrapped sandwich and biting into it. "N-Nothing that belongs to you." I mumbled, staring down at my lap.

"Hmph, ham? Is that cheese?" He grimaced, dropping my sandwich on the table and standing up. He hummed in amusement and walked closer to me. "Why aren't you doing anything?" He huffed, poking me. I flinched away from his touch but stayed in my place. "Come on, do something." He huffed again, poking me repeatedly.

"Will you stop that?" I snapped suddenly, and shut my eyes as I cursed myself. Before I could get a reaction, I was lifted by the collar of my shirt and faced with Jake's warning growl. "There you go." He grinned, raising his fist to throw a punch.

Why does he enjoy hurting me?

Before anyone could stop him, Jake's clenched fist collided with my face allowing a strong of gasps to sprout from everyone around. "Watch it, shortcake. I wouldn't go around snapping at everyone if I were you." Jake growled, dropping me and walking off nonchalantly.

I ignored the eyes landed on me and shakily stood up, grabbed my things and sprinted out the cafeteria.
☆☆
A hiss escapes my lips once the cool water hit my eye, the pain only increasing more once my fingers accidentally pressed against the skin. I was currently in the boys restroom, trying to avoid any other possible beat ups or meet ups with anyone.

This is something I wasn't really used to, for I'm never really bullied. I usually get picked-on or made fun of but never really one through physical bullying. But Jake, being the school bully, tries his absolute best to trigger me or throw a punch or two.

It's like he's looking for a reason to punch me, so he annoys me into doing so. The last bell of the day went off, and it was thankfully time to leave. I picked up my bag from the ground and slipped out the bathroom, hoping my teacher didn't catch on my disappearance.

I dropped my head to avoid any confrontations and sprinted out of school. The bus was too crowded and crappy to ride on so I simply walked back home like I usually preferred. But as I walked away from the school building, my eyes met those of Sam's, but I sprinted off before he could confront.

The house was quiet when I returned home, surprisingly since Jacob always had a girl over to- well y'know. I grimaced at the thought and made my way inside, silently shutting the door. I creeped around the corner, unfortunately finding my brother in the kitchen -half-naked- with his back faced to me.

I rolled my eyes and tiptoed past, until I reached the stairs. The hard part. I silently groaned and climbed up the first few cases before the damned squeak sounded beneath my feet.

"Get down here." His voice was stern, deep, and surely unpleased. I let out a sigh and descended the steps until I was now in the kitchen. Might as well get this over with. "You skipped last class.." he began professionally, leaving me dumbfounded.

"You're sooner than usual. Your class is on the highest floor and you're always home by 4:30. It's 4:15." Jacob spoke, turning around to face me with a cup of orange juice in hand. Shit.

I tilted my head to the side so my eye was void of view and shrugged. "Colby-" "Please, Jacob. I just want to get some rest, I'm exhausted." I plead silently, shaking my head.

My eyes finally met his, my bruised one as clear as glass.

Jacob pushed away from the counter and walked forward until he was arm-reach from me. He studied the bruise on my eye and shook his head, before walking passed me.

I've done it again, I've disappointed him.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN