Chapter 26

(Colby)

The next day was something I was admittedly looking forward to. I doubted my mood could change after yesterday.

Sam had taken all my worries away. He had made me feel safe. He had kissed me. Feeling the need to squeal, I grabbed my pillow and let out everything into it with a bright smile.

Panting lightly at the end, I descended the steps, trying to look professional yet failed when my foot tripped and I came stumbling down. A shriek left my lips as I squeezed my eyes shut, expecting to feel the hard ground below me in an instant.

My eyes opened when I felt no evident pain and looked up seeing an exhausted Sam smiling down at me tiredly. My cheeks turned pink as I blushed, clearing my throat and mumbling a little thank you.

He simply chuckled and ran a hand through his messy hair, ruffling it after helping me up. "Planing to leave me so soon?" He raised an eyebrow and my cheeks reddened further.

"Cut it out, love birds. We gotta head out." A deep voice spoke from the kitchen and we looked over. Ryder stood in nothing but a pair of joggers, toned abs put out for display.

I felt my eyes roaming down his tanned chest and down his muscles, blushing even more than I intended to. Ryder sent a wink my way as he smirked, earning a glare from Sam.

Jacob came out behind him as well, smacking him in the back of the head as Ryder scowled. He on the other hand, was fully dressed and clearly prepared as he cocked his gun, stuffing it in the back of his waistband and checking the large guns for extra precautions.

"I would throw on a shirt." Jacob mocked, making Ryder look at him in feigned offense. I chuckled at his childishness, as though yesterday's events did not take place.

Ryder, in the end, complied, and threw on a shirt before loading up his truck, making sure to hide all the weapons under a tarp incase we got pulled over and interrogated.

"I call shot gun!" I called out, grinning wildly when Jacob scowled my way. Sure we both didn't get along really well, but shot-gun means shot-gun. Sam laughed at my childishness and shook his head as he followed Ryder out.

Jacob kept his glare as he passed me as well but I only sent a sarcastic smile and followed.

One thing I was thankful for, was Jacob loosening up a bit. He didn't seem to be in his dominant, cold state like before. But now I understood why. I was never involved with anything dangerous like what Jacob was dealing with.

If anything, I was in the safe zone. And he used his cold demeanor to keep me away, knowing I would ask questions if he didn't.

I was cut out of my thoughts when a hand pressed against my lower back, guiding me to the other side of the car. Sam chuckled once he spotted my confused look and got in the backseat next to Jacob.

I knew one thing though, we were in for a ride.

Especially with Jacob and Sam both seated in the back.

Ryder sent me a sensual wink when I got into the car, making me blush before looking out the window. I had buckled up my seat belt long before the car started moving. Each mile farther away from my home. The place were we had grown up in.

I had so many more questions.

Why had Sam come along? Why was Ryder helping us? What about Angie? Where was she? What was going to happen to us? To my brother? Are we safe? Am I ever going to see home again? What did Jacob do?

Questions and questions.. yet I didn't have the answers to them.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN