Chapter 5

(Colby)

When I said Sam could drop by, I never expected it to be this soon. It was Thursday, a day until Friday arrived, and school was let off a little sooner due to a parental meeting being held for all students after school.

The school was notified of my situation but was also aware of Jacob's legal parenting over me. And since I was one of the best students, teachers only praised me with smiles and heartwarming comments that would lift my mood every once in a while.

Though Jacob is sometimes away, it's never for too long and he'd always have me supplied with everything before and after he left. He was responsible for the most part and was a great parent despite his need for sex and occasional alcohol. He was a good brother.

The sound of faint music from Jacob's room tuned out the ringing at the doorbell that I just couldn't catch. I was currently reading, and when I read, everything is tuned out almost instantly.

The sounds of thuds and a few groans soon caught my attention making me tear my eyes away from my book. I furrowed my brows and slowly crawled off my bed, about to inspect the problem at hand.

But before I could reach the door, it was banged on. I shuffled forward and opened it to be met with a pissed off Jacob. Oh no.

"Get your head out of that damn book and get the fucking door next time." He grunted making me wince and nod slowly. I gently pushed past him and descended the steps as Jacob followed after me.

My eyes widened in shock once I spotted the blond jock standing at my doorway. "S-Sam?" I questioned, quickly patting down my hair and walking over.

"Hey, ner- Colby." Sam corrected, glancing a little at my brother who stood cooly near the kitchen, leaning against the wall with crossed arms. "H-Hey, w-what are you doing here?" I asked politely before remembering my offer.

Sam lifted his notebook with a nervous smile, making me chuckle and let him in. "W-We can work in my room-" "You work here." Jacob's stern voice unintentionally boomed making me jump a little. "B-But it's better if-" I tried but he cut me off.

"You work here." He repeated, eyes a little darker than before as he looked at me with pursed lips. Sam glanced between me and Jacob, seeming really uncomfortable with the situation.

I sent him a weak smile and turned back to Jacob, avoiding eye contact. "A-Alright, w-we'll work here." I spoke, voice a little quieter than before.

With one last stare at us, Jacob unfolded his arms and made his way upstairs. Sam and I settled in the living room soon after, me plopped down on the carpeted ground while Sam took the couch near me.

Sam didn't really say much for the time being until we were a little more into explaining. "Your brother's a jerk." He suddenly said, making me glance up at him. "I-I've gotten used to it." I shrugged, holding back the urge to sigh.

The silence was soon to continue before Sam broke it again. "I don't get this." He suddenly said, pulling down his notebook to face me. I took the notebook and began explaining it to him.

"The equation isn't balanced. So you can't solve the stoichometry part if the equation isn't balanced." I explained, glancing up at him for a sign of understanding. "Stoic-what?" I sighed lightly. I had already explained this part but then again chemistry isn't easy. Besides, he's counting on me to help him.

"Stoichiometry is the calculation of reactants and products in chemical reactions. It is founded on the law of conservation of mass where the total mass of the reactants equals the total mass of the products, leading to the insight that the relations among quantities of the reactants and products typically form a ratio of positive integers." I explained professionally and Sam stared at me dumbfounded.

"Here, just solve those and I'll skim through them later. Maybe I'll get the hang of things then." He said, dropping the notebook in my lap. I looked up at him for a few moments before looking back down and doing as wanted.

I tried to explain a little throughout but I knew Sam wasn't paying attention.

Once I was done solving the questions, which were 'coincidentally' the assignment due tomorrow, Sam stood up and stretched his limbs.

I went to ask him if he needed anything else but he interrupted. "I'll make sure to go through those later, thanks Colby." With that, he was out the door leaving my lips slightly agape as I stared at the spot he stood in.

"You do realize he just used you for homework, right?" Jacob suddenly stated rather than asked as he fumbled through the fridge behind me. Of course, I knew that, but it was just too sad to admit.

"I-I'll be upstairs." I whispered merely after packing up and cursing myself for being so damn stupid.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN