Chapter 24

(Colby)

Secrets are something I'm not really good at keeping. Especially when it's as scary and exciting as the situation we are put in now.

"You do know you'll be dropping out of school, don't you?" Jacob spoke from across the room as he stuffed his duffle bag, ordering me to stay with him. "I.. I do." I mumbled, knowing I wouldn't have a normal life to look forward to. If I'm still alive that is.

I'll be leaving a lot of people behind as well. But the one person I'd be missing dearly was Sam. I knew getting attached was going to hurt me one day, because that's exactly what's happening now.

Jacob noticed my quick change of mood and sighed. "Colby.." he called and I looked up at him with a small hum. "I don't like.. the thought of dragging you into this. It's too late now and trust when I say I don't want you in harm's way.. but we'll have to live a life we don't want if it means we survive in the end." He continued, walking over quietly.

I sniffled a little and looked up at him once he lifted my chin. "Okay.. okay." I breathed out, wiping my tears away furiously. Jacob sent a small smile before nodding once and pulling away.

"Let's continue packing, we have so little time before Ryder gets here." He said, snuggling few clothes and necessities in his bag. I nodded in agreement and trotted into my room, grabbing a shoulder-strapped hag and a few of my clothes.

I added in a few torches and an emergency kit, throwing in a pocket knife and some gloves. My eyes widened when I entered Jacob's room, finding my brother nonchalantly holding a handgun and cocking it open before closing it professionally.

The last time I touched one of those I most probably would've killed someone if my aim wasn't tilted upwards, and now seeing Jacob with a gun of his own, I could only wonder what more I didn't know about him.

He smirked once he spotted me and stuffed the gun into his waistband, covering it with his shirt before returning to his duffle bag. I could only wonder what's inside there or what he's putting in there.

Just then, he stripped down the bed, throwing the sheets to the side so only the mattress was shown. Flipping out what I could see as a blade, Jacob stabbed it into the mattress, ripping the blade down and the mattress straight open.

"Here." He called and threw me the blade which bounced in my hands panickly as I tried catching it. I hissed when it slit a bit of skin and began bleeding. "That's just the start of what you'll be seeing, little brother." He chuckled, pulling out a shotgun from the mattress along with a sniper, I assume?

Our father had worked with such magnificent yet deadly machines as he was once in the army before settling for a soldier when he didn't have much time to visit the two of us.

So I knew a bit.

Just then, a loud knock sounded at our door making me look at Jacob nervously. He frowned, hiding the duffle bag underneath the bed and stuffing a pocket knife in his shoe.

"Stay here." He ordered but I followed after him with a frown never the less.

He peaked into the spy-hole before rolling his eyes and walking past me. "Who is it?" I questioned with furrowed brows before attempting to open. "That little brat. Blond, overdramatic.." his voice trailed once he re-entered his room.

I perked lightly when I realized it was Sam and opened the door. "Hey-"

"I know. I know everything." He frowned, gazing down at me as I stiffened. Please don't tell me he-

☆☆

Sam was pinned against the wall almost instantly, Jacob gritting his teeth as he tightened his grip on Sam's shirt. "You were spying on us?" Jacob sneered, eyes darkening by every passing second.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't step in. Jacob would not only beat Sam but me also. So I decided to lay low and hope my brother does smash my crush's face with his fist.

"If we weren't in a fight or flight situation-" "Oh calm down." Sam cut him off, rolling his eyes while both ours widened in shock.

"You're waiting for Ryder, aren't you?"

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN