Chapter 10

(Colby)

The arms around me were warm enough to calm me down. Of course after rounds of sobbing and trembling, it had done the job. I hadn't known who these arms belonged to, but I knew they were here me safe.

But they also hurt me, as I had once felt the same warmth and safety they provided.

"Come on, Colby." Gregory chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist before pulling me into his chest. I giggled in return, shifting in his arms and laying my head on his chest.

"I.. I'm really lucky to have you, Colby." He spoke, looking down at me with a kind smile as I closed my eyes. Those weren't the words I wished to hear from him, as I loved him

Despite that, I accepted the sweet comment and hugged him tighter. His arms felt warm, safe. I knew I would always want to be in them, wrapped with the comfort and love they gave me..

My fingers had instinctively curled around the person's shirt as I snuggled closer out of instinct. I was a sucker for affection, for hugs, love. The comfort my parents had once provided me before they lost their lives.

That was enough to release yet another tear as I thought beyond what I should've. But before I could think any longer, my eyes closed and everything around me darkened into nothing.

☆☆

I was sore the next day. Arms tired and legs burning. My head was also pounding in agony as I squirmed in place, trying to wiggle the pain away. Yet the surface I was laid on was soft and warm, only making me want it more.

But as I tried to sleep further, I couldn't and forced my eyes open instead. I was laying on the living room couch and wrapped in a warm blanket.

"Morning, sunshine." A deep voice suddenly spoke making me gasp in surprise and sit up straight. I looked back at the kitchen, spotting Jacob in nothing but a pair of black shorts, his toned abs and firm muscles bare for any one to sneek a glance or two.

My eyes quickly averted away as I bit my lip nervously. I remembered yesterday fairly well. Jacob's fury and treatment. It was easy to remember despite the person comforting me after. I was clueless there.

Hearing a guilty sigh from my brother, I watched as he made his way towards me, a spark of guilt apparent in his eyes. He took a seat on the ground in front of me and ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry, Colby." He sighed, now running his hands over his face. "I shouldn't have.." he trailed. "I-It's alright. I-It's a-alright. " I whispered, pulling my knees into my chest as I glanced at him briefly. I sent a weak smile of assurance and then got down next to him when I realized he wasn't as convinced.

I knew what he was thinking. I knew he was thinking, and I couldn't let him go in deeper.

Jacob watched me in confusion as I did so but softened when I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him dearly. "I miss them too." I whispered, allowing a tear to slide down my cheek.

"God, Colby." Jacob whispered, wrapping his arms tightly around my back and pulling me in closer. It was the hug that triggered me in the end. Because it felt just like my mother's hugs, my father's warmth, and my brother's love that he struggles to show..

"I love you, Colbster." My dad laughed, ruffling my hair as he packed away the remaining tools of our project. A mere bird house I had always wanted to build to help the birdies by making a small house for them to live in.

"I love you too, dad!" I squeaked, patting down my hair before hurrying to the work table. I struggled to pick the project up as I was too short but was helped instantly by my dad.

"I'm too small!" I giggled, grabbing the bird house from his hands and guiding him into the kitchen were mommy sat at. "Mama, look!" I squealed, rushing over and climbing up on the stool next to her.

"Wow! What is it hun?" Mommy chuckled, lighting brushing my hair with her fingers. "It's a birdy house, me and dad made it." I spoke, smiling proudly as I shifted on my knees, placing the house down on the island in front of me.

My eyes glanced back at the same island, tearing up ever-so lightly before staring back down at the cold ground. Why'd you leave mama? Why'd you both leave us?

We're lost without you.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN