Chapter 13

(Colby)

  The ride was long enough to bore me to sleep. Yet we didn't reach our destination quite yet. The trip to the orphanage should take us another 6 hours if you cut out the occasional puke stops or snack stops.

There were also two school busses in total. Both holding a mix of our class and Angie's class. Yet not all got along and a fight broke out between two girls in both the grades, making us split back to our main classes after the bus parked at a nearby gas station. And that took another half an hour.

And now here we are, waiting another good minutes to sort things out.

"Step up, Mr. Golbach. Unfortunately you'll have to be stuck with us for the rest of the ride. It's only an hour drive to the hotel before we can get our well-deserved rest." Mr. Hevensbee's faint voice spoke as I stared out the window, patiently waiting for us to move.

Apparently so, the other bus was packed. And so someone had to be moved in with us.

My head suddenly shot up upon realizing who would be joining us the rest of the drive. "Hey again, nerd." Sam smirked, plopping down in the seat I wished anyone else would've taken.

I looked away quietly, mentally sighing as I thought. I could only wish to stay away from him. His presence not only brought me back the crushing memories, but also lead me to liking him more and more.

I never want to go through what I had gone through multiple times. It's heart crushing for me if not for anyone else. No one ever felt remorse for me. Not Gregory, not the the people I had once called friends, nor anyone before Gregory himself.

Life enjoyed hurting me. If not physically, then emotionally. And I'm fed up with all the harm. Yet I always found myself looking for affection and love.

My eyes had glossed by now as I stared out at the moving trees and cars. But Sam's evident gaze on me only hurt me further.

(Sam)

The bus screeched to a final stop, parked in front of the large hotel we'd be settling in until the day after. It wasn't as fancy and expensive but surely wasn't like the old motels you could stop by for mere hours. It looked worth the stay, really.

As I moved up from my seat, exiting after the chattering students, I noticed the nerd, Colby, had slept through the stop. I furrowed my brows as I watched people walk past, not sparing him a single glance while he slept peacefully. Was no one going to do anything?

I walked back to him quietly, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder, trying to walk him up. "Hey, wake up." I tried, shaking him a little more once his brows scrunched down.

I huffed in annoyance and went to poke his side when I noticed the streams of tears staining his cheeks. They weren't too fresh so I could only assume they had escaped throughout the ride here.

I let out a light sigh and gently leaned down, scooping him up in my arms. This was something I would have never done to another man. But yet I couldn't find myself to wake him up and deal with the pain evident in his eyes.

Despite the smiles he puts up, I could always see the real pain through his eyes. I just never bothered to question.

I gently wrapped his hands around my neck, allowing his head to rest on my chest as he breathed softly. My eyes lightly glanced down at him, landing on something that only made me hurt for him more than I knew I did.

"Mr. Golbach?" Mr. Hevensbee whispered once I had reached the bus doors. I simply nodded down at the boy in my arms. He instantly understood and motioned me after him.

I did as told and followed him into the hotel and up a few floors. As we walked through the long corridor, Mr. Hevensbee stopped at a door to his left, opening it up with the key-card.

"You can room up with him for now." He whispered with gentle smile, moving aside to let me in. I thanked him quietly and took Colby into one of the twin beds, laying him down.

Giving him one last glance, I covered him with a blanket and walked out of the room with thoughts roaming in mind.

I may not know this boy, but I going to protect him from the horrors of life as long as I be living on this so-called earth..

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN