Chapter 36

(Colby)

  As predicted, many of the team had their objections. By many, I strictly mean Sam and Jacob. Sam almost punched Ryder for putting me up for such a risky part, and Jacob almost beat the shit out of Ryder for also making up this plan.

In other words, Ryder was dead meat if I got captured or killed. Their words, not mine.

"I hate you doing this." Sam groaned for the millionth time today as he paced from one corner to another. "I know Sam but Ryder won't change his mind, neither will I." I sighed, strapping on my boots and slipping a pocket knife into the side of my right boot.

"Ryder takes these things seriously and he seems like he knows what he's doing. We have to put faith in him rather than drag him down and make him worry." I added, standing up and grabbing one of the hand guns Angie provided me with.

The rest of the team was suiting up and loading guns while Ryder and Angie discussed the plan further. I was nervous beyond belief, I'll admit, but I'm going to do this. I have to. Besides, there's no backing down now. I just hope no one gets hurt.

I caught Sam's hand when he passed by me again and pulled me closer to him. "Stop stressing," I whispered softly, brushing hair out of his face and looking up at him with calm eyes.

I placed a gentle kiss on his jaw and caressed his cheek tenderly. He placed his hands firmly around my waist and pulled me into a proper kiss. It made my heart spark like every time we kissed and made me smile uncontrollably.

It was soothing, calm. And almost took all my worries away. I knew we'd be fine. So I should stop overthinking and I need Sam to do that too. When the two of us pulled away, it was time to join the others.

The rest of the day was spent training a little more and loosening up until night time approached and the sun began to set. We met up with the rest in the main room and exchanged a few words.

"Colby, sneak out of Angie's car when everyone's distracted and get into theirs, remember. You know the plan, good luck." Ryder nodded, patting my shoulder and gripping it firmly.

☆☆

I moved from beneath the tarp thrown over me and peaked up a little when one of the rival's member circled the car for inspection and returned to the center. The coast was clear til now and Angie can be seen with her gang.

I took in a deep breath and rolled closer to the trunk door, pulling it open silently. I slipped out skillfully and rounded the car so I wasn't in risky view of anyone else.

As predicted, a black car was parked close to ours and no one was around. I crouched down for a few moments before counting to three and sneaking over.

When I successfully made it to the back of the car, I tried opening the door but it wouldn't budge. "Shit." I panicked, looking back at the gang before returning to my own problem.

I looked around for another way in and cursed when the only opening was through the back window. I groaned silently and sneaked closer. The gap was enough to fit me in but it'd surly be painful.

Never the less, I took in another deep breath before heaving myself over and into the back seat. I stayed still for a few moments, my heart pounding with fear of being caught and possibly shot in the head.

When nothing was heard and my heart felt at ease, I crawled into the trunk and rolled under a few bags and tarps thrown behind. It smelled like a dead rat was left in there but I decided to let it go in case my fear was actually a reality.

My heart dropped when I suddenly heard voices approaching and squeezed my eyes tight. I gulped when I heard the signal -which Angie insisted would be a high pitched sneeze- and kept still.

Then the car began to move.

So far, so good.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN