Chapter 23

(Colby)

Luck wasn't something that everyone had. Especially for Ryder who would have to deal with my brother's wrath when the time comes. Jacob's eyes looked cold, distant when he woke up. Until they landed on me and he sat up straight, scanning our surroundings.

"Are you alright?" He asked, voice husky as he looked at me with furrowed brows. His eyes though, soon began to darken when he realized we weren't where we were supposed to be. Home.

"I-I'm fine, I-" I began, hoping to calm him down, when the floorboards outside cut me off. "Get behind me." Jacob ordered, standing up abruptly. Before I could retort, he slammed his foot down on the wooden floor with a strong crack, sending a wooden plank up straight.

Yelping, I got behind Jacob just as ordered, watching in fear as he ripped it out and readied a hit for who I could hope wasn't Ryder. The footsteps began to approach.

"J-Jacob, this i-isn't needed, we aren't-" The room door slowly swung open and Jacob was swinging instantly, almost knocking Ryder out cold when the impact hit. "Holy- fuck!" Ryder yelped, flying back when the plank slammed against his stomach, shattering in half.

Jacob was quick to react, throwing the wood to the side and launching his fist right at the other's nose, leaving a little 'crack' to be heard with a strong of painful curses straight after.

The impact of the punch sent Ryder down as I screamed at Jacob to stop. He was going to kill him!

"Jacob! C-Calm down for fuck's sake!" Ryder yelled, eyes widening once my brother approached swiftly and began landing punches that Ryder was merely able to avoid.

Before the fight could get any worse, I scurried around the house, frantically looking for something to disrupt them, until I spotted something shiny under one of the old, worn out pillows.

I hesitantly grabbed it and ran back into the main hall where the two fought, raising the gun and firing off two bullets. I screamed at the sudden bang and dropped down, feeling a few pieces of old wood falling down on us from the two holes that were now present in the wooden ceiling.

Jacob and Ryder had stopped fighting, covering themselves with their arms until all was heard was our heavy breathing and some cracking here and there.

My brother looked at me in disbelief before slowly looking at Ryder who had the same shocked expression. "Last one." Jacob grumbled, punching Ryder in the face. For the love of-

☆☆

I felt like a mother scolding two children after breaking her glass vase or glass showcase. "Is violence all you guys go by?" I sighed after an hour of arguing. Well, Jacob trying to kill Ryder and Ryder trying to survive my brother's threats. Yet he only made the situation worse by sticking his tongue out childishly.

Ryder could be scary if he wanted to. But he was literally a child when he wasn't. Jacob though, was another story. I knew my brother could throw a punch or two but I never thought he could go this far.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I sighed again and looked back at Jacob pleadingly. After finally getting him to calm down and understand Ryder was the one to get us out, he had cooled down. Merely.

But I still had many questions I haven't gotten the answers to, even from Ryder.

"What's going on, Jacob?" I finally asked, looking up at him in desperation. Desperation for answers.

Jacob sighed as well, about to explain but Ryder was the one to speak instead. "Jacob's messed with wrong people, little brother.." He began, receiving a glare from Jacob and a chuckle from me. "It's Colby."

"Anyways, this group of people are called Tiatus, a gang you wouldn't really want to mess with. Jacob did just that had himself stuck in a situation I knew I would have to risk my position to help." He continued, frowning lightly.

"I'm part of a gang called Black Bone, where our job is to help others. Yet our ways of helping is sort of a crime as well. We use guns, kill people who had done wrong, and I was ordered to go in as an undercover gangster for years working for Tiatus. And because I had risked my position I had been let down from my actual gang." Even Jacob was interested at this point.

"Back to the point, Tiatus was bribed a big amount of money for Jacob's death, yet they weren't as satisfied in the exact amount. So they tried luring you into giving a larger amount. If you didn't comply, they would kill Jacob and still be paid in the end by their main 'leader'. Plan B in other words." Ryder explained on, running a stressful hand through his hair.

"B-But why would anyone want to kill J-Jacob?" I stammered, looking between the two. Jacob looked away slightly and Ryder sighed, stiffening a little. "That.. that you have to hear from your brother."

"But as for now, we're not safe."

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN