Chapter 42

(Colby)

"Hello? Can anyone hear me?" I asked, running my hands of over my face in stress, and sighing. "Hello, can anyone here me?" I repeated but all I received was muffled static.

My eyes met Jakes sitting in front of me and I shook my head silently. He let out an angered groan and stood up from his crouching position. I ignored him and tried again.

"Nothing." I shook my head. "What do you plan to do?" I asked after a moment, watching him pace left and right through the control room. The guards were knocked out and tied up in a corner while I sat on the ground with my back pressed against the wall.

My muscles were aching with pain and my mind was still woozy after the hard hit against concrete. Right now, I was in no shape for battle yet good in the brains. One of the reasons Jake kept me alive.

"We need to get to the top floor. But guards and control teams are swarming the area." He grit, clenching and unclenching his fists to ease stress. "Why would they-" "They're looking for you. When ya'll arrived you snuck through the parking lot." He cut me off, making my eyes widen when he spoke.

"How did you-" "They found the bodies. Both in the lot and the fat-ass in the storage area. You do know you suck at covering your traces, right?" He raised an eyebrow but I was in too much shock to retort or comment.

He knew we would come, but how did he know where we were and what our plan was originally? My eyes widened when I came to the realization and my arms fumbled to pull me towards the control table.

Jake watched me in confusion as I climbed onto the chair and pushed myself closer.

"Jake, you can hack into their earpieces." I said, looking at the screen as I pulled up the blue prints of the mansion. All basic nothing very helpful. "And how should that help us?" He walked closer.

"You said they're after me is that right? Send them then." I began. "Your the boss's son, they'll listen to you so order the ones in the building after me." I explained. "That's irresponsible and won't work. You can barely move nor shoot a gun. What use will you be?" Jake shook his head.

"Send them to the under ground lot. I may not be able to shoot, but I can sure as hell set off a grenade." I said, meeting his eyes with nothing but determination and dedication.

"It'll kill you. You won't make it away in time.."

"Then so be it."

☆☆

(Sam)

The men kept fighting and fighting, not seeming very willing to give up any time soon. Our men were tired and injured, but we have to make it inside or all this would be nothing but a waste of damn time.

My eyes jumped around for Jacob until I finally found him crouching behind a statue, shooting with one arm while his other bled from a gun shot. But still, he kept fighting.

I grit my jaw and turned back to the crowd, shooting, reloading, and aiming at my targets. I crouched back down to reload and spotted one of the cars behind us. I looked back around for our "driver" and spotted him near one of the cars we arrived in.

"Gabs! Do you still have the keys to the car!?" I yelled over the noise, thankfully catching his distracted attention. He nodded his head once and reached into his pocket before throwing the keys in the air towards me.

I extended my arm to grab them but they landed exactly where I didn't want them to. In the center of both cars and in view of all guns and snipers.

"Fuck!" I screamed, punching the ground once and panting as I tried to think. I grabbed onto the door handle of the car next to me and yanked it once. I grunted and yanked again and again until if finally budged and broke off with a clank.

I grabbed it firmly with my hands and yelled out. "Cover me!" I sprinted from my crouching position behind the car, covering my face with the metal as I ran towards the keys.

Bullets clattered against the "shield" continuously, putting more force on me than I needed and regrettably slowing me down. I clenched my jaw in struggle, running a little faster and dropping the shield as soon as I caught onto the keys.

I landed with a rusty role behind a short wall, managing to scrape my skin bloodily, but that was the least of my worries. I tangled the keys between my fingers and crawled towards the car as bullets flew over my head.

I'm not going down without a fucking fight, and I'll make sure of it.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN