Chapter 40

(Colby)

Blurry colors of yellow and orange fill my vision as lay on the dusty gravel, pulling my body up by shaky arms and aching muscles. The explosion of the car had me flying away, sending me into one of the concrete pillars holding up the lot.

The impact managed to get me before I could get at a safe enough distance and the burning sensation in my back confirmed I had been hit. My body felt weak and soar as I tried to sit up straight but that was expected from a hit that strong.

Slowly, I pull myself into a sitting position, leaning my back against the concrete wall and letting my head slump backwards. The pain was unbearable but I couldn't pass out yet. Not when it gives them a chance to capture me. I winced as I reached up to my scalp, pulling my fingers away to see blood. Fuck.

I grit my teeth In struggle and go to pull myself up but a hand clasping against my collar bone shoved me against the wall and squeezed.

I let out a loud groan and shut my eyes, clasping the wrist and attempting to pull it away. "You're stupid enough to come find us.." A voice, all too familiar to my ears echoed as I tried to focus on staying awake.

"It's not.. because of stupidity, Webber.." I struggled out between pants. "It's about k-keeping my family safe." I whispered, looking up at him with glossy, pained eyes as I fought to regain my focus.

"Then why don't I save you the suffering and do you one last favor?" He chuckled breathlessly, reaching his hand behind his back and pulling out what my eyes could make out as a gun.

I fluttered my eyes closed briefly before reopening and staring up at him emotionless. My hand, still classed weakly around his wrist, let go, hanging weakly by my side. "T-This is not you.." I whispered, mustering up enough energy to shake my head and gulp.

"You d-don't want this. I know you don't, Jake." I said again but he wasn't listening. He cocked the gun in his hand and aimed it at my head. But his eyes spoke something other than murder and revenge.

His eyes were glossed, filled with sadness and dread that had me confused in so many ways. "I loved him you know?" He whispered, allowing his tears to roll down his cheeks as he kept the gun pointed towards me.

"But I was stupid enough to fall for him in the first place. H-He warned me, but I was too stupid to care. He told me I was just another fling." Jake cried as he shook his head, gripping the gun tighter in his hold.

"A-And I agreed. After that night though, I couldn't stop thinking about him. The way he looked at me made me feel like I-I may have been something more-" "T-That's not love, Jake." I croaked, clutching my stomach and sitting up a little.

"You didn't fall in love with him. H-Have you ever experienced love before, Jake?" I continued, looking up at him with question in my eyes.

Quickly, Jake raised the gun just above my head and fired off once. Missing me by inches. "How the fuck would you know how it feels?!" He roared making me flinch. "I tried being nice, I tried to keep you away but you've brought this on yourself, Colby." He hissed, pulling out the magazine of the gun and laughing breathlessly.

"What a coincidence, 2 bullets left." He grit, clocking it back in and putting his finger back on the trigger. "I'm feeling merciful today, I'll wait to hear your last words before I finish this off." He smiled, sarcasm dripping with every word.

I squeezed my eyes shut, looking away and muttering the only words that came to mind:

"This is only your father speaking."

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN