Chapter 20

(Colby)

  Today, we were heading back home. Though I didn't get the chance to see the orphans, I was quite happy to return home. But as for returning to school, not so much. Despite that, my thoughts were stuck on Jake as I looked out my window side, watching the trees swift by.

Did he feel guilty? Was that why he didn't hurt me that day at the hospital? But what was the note stating? And how did he know my brother?

Thoughts were swirling heavily in my head, I'm not surprised Sam noticed my scrunched up nose. "What's up?" He asked quietly, looking over at me. "Nothing, just thinking." I lied, sending a weak but assuring smile and looking back out the window.

He didn't seem to buy it, though he went along with it. "What about?" He hummed, laying his head back against the prickly red headrest of the bus's chair. "School," I murmured, though it wasn't exactly a lie.

I was thinking about school. I just kept out a little details about who and why.

The rest of the trip was spent in silence, except for my thoughts. Those were quite loud and irritating as I couldn't find the answers I desire. And soon enough, the two school busses pulled up into the school parking lot, letting students out person by person.

My eyes caught those of Jake's, that was quickly moved aside by Mr. Hevensbee. No one knew what Jake would receive as punishment, but some rumors stated he would be suspended or even put in jail. Though the second rumor was a bit exaggerated. They didn't have any real proof of Jake trying to kill me anyways.

Sam noticed my gaze on Jake as he hopped down the last few steps after forgetting his headphones in the side pocket of his chair. Frowning and directing a scowl Jake's way, he slipped his hand behind my lower back and guided me indoors where we would be waiting for our guardians, or parents, to pick us up.

"What will you tell your brother?" Sam suddenly asked, making me perk and hum lightly before looking up at him. "Your brother, what will he say about your bruises?" Sam repeated, rephrasing it so I got the point.

"I doubt he would say much, i-it's not the first time." I shrugged, looking down in thought. I've been doing that quite a lot recently. Thinking.

Sam frowned at that, letting out a heavy sigh through his nose before shaking his head lightly.

☆☆

The house was dark once I arrived, having to walk home since Jacob was nowhere in contact. I've called multiple times but wouldn't receive any answer. Sam had also offered me a ride but I refused saying Jacob was only blocks away.

Sam had dealt with a lot of my problems this trip, I didn't want to bother him any longer. Even Angie had tried convincing me to go with them, receiving an eye roll from her brother. I was grateful, but didn't want to get attached anymore than I already was.

"Jacob?" I whispered, entering the dark house before silently taking off my shoes when I didn't receive an answer. I made my way upstairs, slowly creaking to Jacob's room. I slipped my head in, finding the room expectedly dark but surely not empty.

I furrowed my brows, pushing the door fully open and flicking on the lights to find Jacob's bed made neatly but no sign of the owner himself. I ran a hand through my hair and made my way downstairs. Unsurprisingly, his phone was laid on the counter, the number of missed calls he received from me evident on the screen once it lit up.

But besides my calls, there was a message. One clearly left for me once I tapped it, reading through every word: A simple address.

"Meet us at 800 Woodsweather Road. And bring something worth the trade, young Brock."

...

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN

M H S S | Solby (DISCONTINUED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara