Chapter 25

(Colby)

At this point, questions I never thought to ask began to fill my head. My trust in everyone began to falter. And my confusion began to rise. As much as I wanted to leave, I knew it wasn't a smart move.

Before the questions can be asked and Jacob's fist began to take action, the sound of a gun clicking and a low growl erupted behind us. Turning around, my eyes widened to realize it was Ryder standing in the door way, eyes dark and jaw clenched.

"Let him go." He demanded, cocking the gun pointed at my brother. Jacob ignored the demand, instinctively tightening his grip making Sam wince. "J-Jacob-" I tried, about to reach out to him, when I was snatched back.

Ryder pressed the gun against my head making me shake in fear. "Ryder, don't-" "Shut it, Sam." He growled, making the other scowl at him. "Let him go, Jacob. Or I'll fucking put a bullet in his head." Ryder growled, voice firm and demanding.

Then, I started to question. I've never seen Ryder so shaken up before, so I could only assume Sam meant a lot to him if that's the way he would react. Jacob kept his loathing glare between Ryder and Sam before releasing his grip and slowly raising his arms, backing away.

Jacob silently waited for Ryder to let me go, though his darkening glare spoke enough. Ryder reluctantly let me go, pushing me forward so I stumbled towards my brother.

☆☆

The night starts glistened softly in the sky as I stood at the small balcony located in my room, stargazing in the silence that sounded all my thoughts. My cheeks flushed against the cool wind that occasionally hit against my face, leaving me in quite the comforting silence.

But the silence was soon to demolish when a deep voice spoke up beside me.

"It's nice out here," Sam said, leaning against the railing next to me. "What are you doing here, Sam? What is happening? What have I been sucked into?" I blurted, looking up at him with confused, sparkling eyes.

"Who are you?" My last question seemed to offend him, as the slight pain was evident in his expression.

"I'm the same guy I was back in school, Colby. I'm still that same guy." He whispered, sighing in slight frustration as he ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm still the guy from the hotel, the same guy from the hospital, the same guy that cares for you."

Sam caught my unconvinced expression and sighed again. He stood up straight and lifted my chin so I was looking up at him with glossed eyes.

"Colby, you've been put in a situation that may cost your life should you doubt any of us. I have a dark past that would change your opinion of me. Should I dare speak of it. That's how I know Ryder." He began.

"Jacob is a target to many people and specifically to one. A man who won't rest until he has your brother dead and would go to many lengths in order to achieve that. Our goal is to kill that man or at least have him locked behind bars and us away from danger."

"There will be blood. There will be death. But I will always be with you throughout it." He spoke, every word boosting something within me as I stood close.

I could see the sincerity in his eyes. That only made my heart beat faster and eyes sparkle. Sam made me feel something I couldn't explain. But I wouldn't care unless I'm with him, by him.

"Gosh, you're so beautiful.." he suddenly whispered while shaking his head, his hand now cupping my cheek as he stared down at me with a certain twinkle in his eyes. I could feel myself inching closer bit by bit, not finding it in me to pull away.

My eyes searched his for any sigh of lies, mockery. But I found none.

But I could feel my heart beat in ecstasy the moment our lips touched, molding against each other oh-so softly. My eyes fluttered close, my ears tuning out everything except for Sam and Sam only.

His touch made my cheeks warm and his gentleness on me made my stomach flutter as he wrapped his hand around my waist, pulling me in closer.

And like that, all thoughts had left my mind. Except one:

'I think I'm in love'

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN