Chapter 27

(Colby)

The cabin was no where near as small and old as the one Ryder had taken us to a week prior. This one had me sighing in relief when I spotted the fully built roof and decent looking walls looking up and alive.

I was actually excited for our stay here.

"Welcome home, kids." Ryder, grinned, receiving nothing but stares. He sighed in defeat, shaking his head as he mumbled in coherent words.

"Why did we get him again?" Jacob rolled his eyes as he unloaded he truck. "Have no clue." Sam shook his head, grabbing a few duffle bags and walking past.

Ryder looked at the two in disbelief and confusion before looking at me. I just shrugged, chuckling lightly. "I'm never pulling a gun on you again." He shook his head making me laugh and walk passed them as they bickered.

The front door first lead into the kitchen, a small yet comfy looking couch plopped down against the wall and a few old paintings hung on the wall. A short hallway lead to three consecutive doors, two of which were bedrooms whilst the last was a bathroom.

The first bedroom had a single bed in the middle, meant for two people if they could manage, and the second bedroom had two twin beds on either wall of the room. I could already hear the future arguing begin to sound.

Though I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to share a bed with Sam.

Dropping my bag against the wall, I walked around the little cabin, my legs stirring me towards the backyard. Well, it wasn't exactly a back yard since it was just a big patch of grass joined to the forest a few feet ahead. There were no fences either so coming face to face with a wild animal is very possible.

As I looked around more, I began to wonder. This is my new home now. There's no going back to my old life, I knew that, but it was all so weird. And a little sad, knowing I won't get to grow up normally. Finish school, go to college.

All that's been stripped away from me.

A hand on my shoulder cut me out of my thoughts, bringing my eyes up to Sam. His brows were frowned as he slowly turned me towards him and gently held my face.

"Why are your eyes sweating?" He frowned, feigning confusion but managing to make me sniffle a laugh. I hadn't realized I was crying until now though.

He whipped away my tears as I looked up at him, smiling lightly. He smiled as well, pulling me into his chest.

Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders and sighed, closing my eyes. "Do you miss home, Sam? Angie?" I asked, voice a little muffled by his toned, but warm chest.

Sam didn't answer, which had me questioning but I decided to leave it. Until he finally replied..

"I don't know.."

☆☆

The crackling of the fire erupted as Ryder added in more logs, allowing more heat from the fire to warm us. It was fairly cold tonight and the moon was currently our only source of light aside from the fire ahead of us.

The cabin's location was far from the city where you'd rarely find any signal or electricity. So we were left with the moon rays and the fire's flames. I almost feel poetic.

The sudden rush of heat around my shoulders brought be back to the present when I realized Sam had wrapped his blanket around me. I went to retort but he had beat me to it and insisted.

Jacob noticed the little gesture but kept quiet. Apparently, so did Ryder. But Ryder being himself, had to comment. "Adorable." He gasped, patting the non-existent tears under his eyes with his shirt.

I went to roll my eyes but they got captivated once I glanced down at Ryder's torso. My cheeks turned pink, making Sam confused before he scowled and glared Ryder's way.

This was going to be quite the life change.

My High School Story | @COLBAEFAN