Lyra

The trees rustled in the blowing wind as the golden eyed six year old stumbled through the forest.

She was panting heavily, her arms exhausted from lugging the large golden axe in her hands as she charged through the woods, hoping desperately that she'd find an exit out of the woods. All around her, the noises of the forest surrounded her, whispering ominous bellows and resounding silence.

Her body ached. Her limbs screamed for her to stop running, to stop fleeing and to just give up. She was only six, what could she do in a forest full of Grimm? But the girl wouldn't stop. Not even as sweat poured down her tanned skin, or as her platinum blonde hair grew wet from the perspiration. She couldn't afford to stop. Not after what had happened in her village...

"You should..have left that thing behind."

The girl glanced over her shoulder, regretting the action immediately as her muscles screamed at her. Behind her was a girl far taller than her, with cropped brunette hair that fell to her shoulders and chocolatey brown eyes. Her clothes were tattered and she was just as out of breath as the six year old.

"Kyra, just trust me," The little girl replied tiredly, not in the mood to argue. It was true, her body was heaving from exhaustion, but she was far too stubborn to listen to her. "We'll...need it."

"Uh, sister, neither of us are strong enough to even use that thing," Kyra pointed out with a cocked brow, exasperation in her tone. "We'll be dead with it. Drop it so we can at least run faster."

"I've...dragged it with me this long, haven't I?" The girl retorted, tightening her grip on the golden weapon. It truly was a huge axe, perhaps three times her size, but she had always been abnormally strong for her age. "We need it. I just have a feeling."

"Well, you're going to need it," Kyra sighed, wiping the sweat from her forehead. She was only a few years older than her sister, and she carried a box in her hands. "I think I'll take my chances."

The two sisters continued their journey, praying for an opening in the dense forest. Eventually, the little girl's teeth began to chatter as the night grew cold. Kyra frowned, gesturing for them to stop.

"Here. I can make a fire," Kyra offered, and the little girl nodded in agreement. She plopped downwards while Kyra went off to collect sticks, running her fingers over the blade of the axe.

She huddled closer to herself, rubbing her hands together to try and keep them warm. She was only in her pajamas; there had been no time to change, not in such a hazardous time. Now, the little girl was shivering in her thin sweater and pajama pants. They were both barefoot, and she pulled her feet under herself to try and forget the numbness of her toes.

Sticks dropped in front of her, clattering to the ground wildly and Kyra dropped the lumber onto the ground. Kyra squatted down, setting the box down gently before she began to fumble with the sticks and moss.

"D-Do you even know h-how to do that?" The little girl questioned, cupping her hands to her face to try and keep warm. Kyra looked up, somewhat offended.

"Of course I do! Dad taught me," Kyra responded, snarling slightly as sparks ignited off of the wood, but no fire grew from her actions. "Did you think mom started those bonfires?"

"Well, no, but..." The little girl's voice trailed off as she thought about her family. Everything had happened so fast; the monstrous, inky creatures had charged out of nowhere. If it wasn't for Kyra's quick wit, neither of them would have made it out of the house alive. "...I thought those monsters-"

"Grimm," Kyra interjected. The girl rolled her eyes, but nodded.

"I thought those Grimm only came when I was being a bad girl," She said, a bewildered look on her face. "All I was doing was playing with a ball. I actually wasn't disobeying for once..so why now?"