Chapter 2

Adamina:

Adamina opened her eyes. Where was she? In a second it dawned on her: Yesterday she'd at last run away from her parents and the responsibility she'd been given at birth, but had never wanted. However, there must've been something that had woken her up. She glanced a thin layer of hay over a worn-out wooden floor. Oh no, she'd gone to sleep in a stranger's barn without any permission. The owner must've found her. 

Stealing a glance upward she saw a girl about her own age with light brown hair and eyes wearing a plain, brown peasant's dress. She blinked, scrambling to her feet. 

"I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, "I did not mean to intrude onto your private property, I must've somehow stumbled all the way here last night before I finally fell asleep! Please, forgive me! I will leave right now,"

"Who are you, first of all?" the girl asked.

"My name is..." Adamina caught a hint of one of her boots as she looked down. She'd totally forgotten that she was dressed up as a man. "Errr..." Deepening her voice she at last finished her sentence: "Adam,"

"Okay, my name is Danika," Danika paused and looked down at the floor. After a long minute she finally asked: "But, who are you?"

Oh no! What was she supposed to say? "I don't currently have any work, nor do I have any parents, so I'm a little unsure of what you mean with that question,"

"Well, I don't know what I meant, myself, any longer, either," She tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. 

"I should leave then, so I don't waste any more of your precious time," Adamina turned around and started walking out of the barn.

"Wait!" Adamina turned around.

"My time is not especially precious, but I do know that if you travel alone in this world, especially here in this town, your time will be so much shorter,"

Adamina stopped. Danika was standing right in front of her now. Danika's hand touched her shoulder lightly. 

"Please, you can stay here and help my father with the farm, it is not very big and you would get quite a few hours off. And, though my dad cannot pay you well, if you stay here it will be made sure of that you will never go hungry,"

"Have you even asked your father about any of this?" Adamina asked, almost starting to hope, but shutting it down like carbon swallows a flame.

"I have not, but I know he has been looking for someone to help him with the farm. If it makes you feel any better I can go ask him now," Danika straightened her shoulders just a little bit, almost invisible, but still there, like a whisper.

"Yes, please," What if Danika's father could see right through her charade? See that she was not some lonely fatherless boy, but, in reality, a princess.