Chapter 23

Adamina:

Danika had crouched beside her earlier when she'd broken away from her in the midle of their kiss. She was truly an angel, Danika. She'd had to deal with Adamina's breakdowns so many times already and she hadn't spoken one word in complaint. Danika truly deserved to be with the kindest person in the whole wide world. Unless of course that was her, then it would have to be the second most kindest person.

Adamina peered up at Danika between her fingers. Should she tell her? She'd been lying to Danika for way too long already. Though even a second of lying to her would have been too long. Danika deserved to know the truth, even if it meant Adamina would have to sacrifice their friendship for it.

She just had to tell her, she couldn't keep it in anymore. Well, technically, she could, but it felt as if she was about to burst open if she did. Adamina raised her head from her hands and looked into Danika's eyes. She didn't particularly want to look at Danika when she told her, didn't want to see the expression of disgust that was sure to be written all over her face. Giving up, she placed her head back in her hands, making sure her hands weren't covering her mouth so that the words wouldn't come out all muffled up. 

It would be hard enough to say what she was about to say once. There was no way she'd be up for the job of saying it a second time, not even if someone had offered her a fortune in reward for doing so. Never would she be able to speak those words a second time knowing the conflict of emotions it would bestow on Danika, whom she cared about far too much to hurt, but even more to tell the truth.

Danika's arm was resting over her shoulders now, just like right after they'd kissed for the first time. Adamina doubted it would ever happen again after what she knew she had to say, was going to say within only a few short minutes. Danika would never feel even an ounce of sympathy for her ever again. She would be disgusted, revolted, at even the sight of her, after she found out that Adamina was a girl, not a boy.

There was no way she could take the news about her being a princess as hard, though she would probably hate her for that too. At least that would be reasonable, after all Adamina had straight-out lied to her. And she hadn't told her some story of coming from a wealthy family with wealthy and alive parents. No, she'd gone ahead and told Danika the biggest sob-story of a lifetime while technically being the most wealthy person in the country other than her parents, her own mother and father.

She knew it would hurt, to see the betrayal in Danika's eyes, but at least maybe it could cover the disgust that she was so sure would also be present in her eyes in only a few short minutes.

Nevertheless she opened her mouth at last: "Danika, there's something I need to tell you,"

"Okay, you can tell me anything, you know that," Danika answered her, her voice as soft as silk.

"You're probably gonna react badly to this, and that's okay. There's just one thing I need to know: Can you promise not to tell your father?" Adamina croaked out, trying to not start sobbing again.

"Of course, I promise," Danika said.

"You say that now, but when you hear what I'm going to say you'll change your mind," Adamina pointed out.

"Well, how about I promise I won't tell my father unless it's something to do with the farm, or that kind of thing that he needs to know or hurting someone, does that work?" Danika replied wittily as ever, a small half-smile appearing on her face.

Adamina couldn't help but smile back. "Okay," Her face turned somber again and she bit her lip. "So, remember when I told you I was an orphaned jobless boy. Though, I didn't tell you all of that directly, but silence is agreeing. Anyway I'm not,"

"Which one?" Danika asked, her eyes full of patience.

"I'm not orphaned or poor. I know I shouldn't be telling you this, but I'm the heir to the throne," Adamina knew she sounded quite ridiculous, but it was the truth, not even a single piece of dishonesty buried either in its core or in the words she used to articulate herself.   

"But the king and queen only have a daughter, no son," Danika protested, her gaze concentrating on Adamina.

Adamina stared back at her, knowing Danika would have to figure this part out for herself as she was unable to utter another word.

A/N: What do you think of this chapter? How do you think Danika will react? Please tell me if you notice any mistakes, including spelling mistakes, or anything else that doesn't make sense. Have as good a day as you can and please consider voting if you think this chapter deserves it.