Chapter 8

Adamina:

Adamina loosened a piece of mutton from her fork with her teeth, savoring its well-flavored taste. Mr. Evenstad got to his feet, his chair creaking as it was pushed backwards. "I'm so sorry, but I will have to leave you to set up for the farmer's market tomorrow which is the reason that we are in town in the first place, so it wouldn't do to not be ready in time for it,"

"Yes, it would, and we will be fine back here at the inn by ourselves," Danika answered her father.

"Well, I'll be off then," Mr. Evenstad said, reaching for his hat.

"Good luck with the setting up," Adamina said despite being anxious about Mr. Evenstad being able to pick apart what she'd just said and figure out that she knew nothing about farmer's markets.     

Almost an hour later Mr. Evenstad was still out setting up for the farmer's market. Adamina and Danika were in the rented room. They had previously both been sitting on separate beds, but some time ago Danika had flunked herself down on Adamina's bed to tell her a joke. Now they were both sitting at the edge of the bed, their knees only millimeters away from each other's.

Adamina gulped, and, biting her lip, slightly moved her leg towards Danika's despite her mind screaming at her not to continue. This was not good, she had to stop. Any minute Danika was going to figure out that she was a girl, not a boy. She just had to stop.

Then Danika lifted her hand and put it on Adamina's shoulder, and she couldn't care less. All her thoughts stopped at once. Or they just started going through her head at a speed too fast for her to catch any of them. She didn't really know which one of the options was correct. Though she did know  a simple touch on the shoulder shouldn't feel like this, it was just like a pat on the shoulder, no feelings involved. 

But, the way that Danika's hand lingered on her shoulder said otherwise. And the way Danika wouldn't look her in the eyes. At the moment she was glancing over Adamina's right shoulder, refusing to meet her gaze. 

A/N: Rather a short chapter, but an update none the less. What did you think of the chapter? Do you happen to know any entertaining things to do at a farm? Please tell me and thank you for reading this chapter. Please tell me if you notice any mistakes or if something confuses you. If you think this chapter deserves it, consider leaving a like. Have as good a day as you can!