Chapter 25

Adamina:

A million thoughts flew through her head at a break-next speed. It had been that way ever since she told Danika her secret, secrets, also she technically didn't tell Danika, she just guided her to right conclusion. There was nothing she could do to stop the thoughts, though she wished strongly for there to be something that could help.

Tossing a potato into the wheelbarrow next to her she glanced at Danika who was digging out potatoes from the dirt a few meters away. She looked around. Danika's father had gone inside. She needed to talk to Danika. To know what she thought about what Adamina had told her. 

It had been almost a week since Adamina had told Danika about her being a girl as well as that she was the princess, the heir to the throne. Until then it hadn't occurred to her that Danika might even be more upset about the part about her being a princess than about her just being a girl. 

No, there was no way that Danika could just be okay with her being a girl. The royal part of it all was just another problem on top of that. Adamina missed  talking to Danika, holding Danika, but neither was ever going to happen again. The most Danika would ever say to her again would be some sort of snide remark about how disgusting she was. 

Even so, she needed to hear Danika's voice again, if it so was for the last time in her life. Adamina knew she needed to get over Danika, there was no way Danika liked her, even as a friend, anymore. But, they'd had such a great connection, and there was no way Adamina would be lucky enough to have that happen to her again. Not in this time and place where her kind of love was so despised. She'd just have to live on the memories of her short-lived relationship with Danika for the rest of her life. They'd be bitter, the memories, but they'd be the only thing she had left.

But, that was better left for another time. Like when her parents found her and brought her back to train to become and later become the Queen. When she'd have to marry some man she could never love, just so that she could produce an heir.

Right now she was out in a field with the person she liked that had, until recently, liked her too. Calm down, she told herself, just concentrate on the here and now. Just look at the potato plants and the potatoes. At the sky and Danika. Nothing else is important. Nothing else matters here. 

She breathed in deeply. Discreetly, she began making her way over to Danika, picking potatoes out of the soil in a line towards her. Even when she crouched down right next to Danika she remained quiet for a long while, brushing off soil from the handful of potatoes she held. 

Her throat was dry as sand, but she had to get the words out. She had to know.

At last she asked, "Do you hate me?"

A/N: Hi! I'm back again. Updates won't be as often as they used to. I'm trying for a more regular schedule. Thanks to all of you who've stuck with the story, even with the uneven updates. From now on I'll be updating every Friday and, occasionally on Tuesdays. As always thanks a lot for reading and please consider voting. Any feedback on the writing, confusing parts or plain spelling errors is greatly appreciated. I'd also love to hear your opinion on the story so far.