Chapter 5

Adamina:

She dried the sweat off her forehead, leaning on her pitchfork. Stopping in the middle of shoving a pile of hay up into the loft of Mr. Evenstads barn, she turned. Danika was once again standing only a few inches from her face.

"Woah!" Adamina exclaimed, décrescendo-ing to her pretend deep male voice. Danika's wide smile seemed to falter, but a second later it was twice as wide. 

"How are you doing?" she asked.

"Quite well, you?" Adamina picked up a straw from the haystack in front of her, chewing on it thoughtfully.

"I'm doing good," Danika went silent for almost a minute, maybe more. "Are you done with moving the hay yet?" she asked at last.

"Almost, in a few minutes," 

Danika tugged at a strand of her hair. "I brought some food, I'll go set it up under that tree over there,"

"Great, I'll finish up as fast I can," Adamina said. She unknowingly quickened her pace, shoveling stacks of hay at double the speed at which she had shoveled them earlier. 

Breaking a sweat, she continued shoveling at the speed of lightning. She shoved the pitchfork into the hay pile and lifted it into the air, the hay landing up in the loft of the barn.  

"I'm here!"Adamina meekly exclaimed, loosing her sense of speech as she saw the picnic Danika had laid out. Danika and her father were poor farmer and could mostly only afford cheap ingredients like wheat, barley and oats, along with potatoes, but Danika had done the absolute best she could with the ingredients they had. 

"Wow, you did all this?" she asked Danika, her voice breaking on the last syllable.

"Yes, I wanted to thank you for your work here," Danika said as if it was obvious that she would put together the feast-like picnic in front of Adamina's eyes.

"You didn't have to do any of this," She told Danika.

Danika smiled self-consciously. "Well, I wanted to," she said.

"You sure?" Adamina played with the bread roll in her hand. 

"Well yes, you seem like a nice person, and I'm kind of lonely here. I only get to go to town once, sometimes twice a year. I'm all alone with my dad the rest of the year," Danika bit her lip.

"That must be awful,"

"Well yes, but I am quite used to it, so I suppose it would be worse for you than for me, just like it would be worse for me to go a week without food," 

Not true, Adamina thought in her head, but said nothing. She hated lying to Danika, she didn't deserve it. By now though, she was almost getting used to living a lie.  

A/N: At long last a new chapter. That took almost a month. I really have to quicken my writing pace. Anyway I hope you enjoyed it and please tell me if you notice any mistakes, including spelling mistakes, or if you have any questions. Thank you for reading and have as good a day as possible!