Chapter 9

Danika:

Danika's palm was resting on Adam's shoulder. It was soft, his shoulder, almost like her own in a way. She could feel her heart beating in her throat. Did she dare steal a quick glance at his face? She looked into his eyes. They were so soft and gentle, they reminded her of last crush, her best friend. Her name was Mia and they'd been friends for as long as either of them could remember. Until, some time last summer, everything had changed. When Danika looked at Mia she no longer saw her as just a friend. She started to get nervous around her and her hands started to sweat.

For a split second she would imagine that Mia was flirting with her like she'd seen Mia flirt with boys and like she'd seen countless boys flirt with girls. But, when she blinked, it was all gone, like it had never happened. It probably hadn't either, Danika was quite sure Mia still just saw her as a friend back then and 'till this day.

Over the past few weeks Danika had caught herself daydreaming about Adam quite a few times, mostly about his face, which was quite girlish actually, he hadn't even started growing a beard, though it might just be really slow development. 

Adam's hand brushed against her knee. They were facing each other now. She could kiss him. She wanted to, though she didn't know why. She'd never felt anything towards a boy before. Taking in a deep breath, she glanced up at Adam again.

His eyes were so soft. Nervous, it seemed to her. Should she do it? What if she'd misunderstood? But, what if she hadn't? She wanted to kiss him so badly, but she didn't want to ruin their friendship. And, what if he left the farm? She doubted that he would, after the awful shape she'd found him in the first time she met him. If he left he wouldn't have anywhere to go or any food on the table. Or a table, for that matter.

But, you can never predict how someone is going to react to something accurately. He might find the situation awkward to stay, or he might not.

He touched her cheek, tucking a strand of her hair behind her left ear. His hands were soft to the touch. It was all she could do not to melt into his touch. I have to, she told her inner self. She'd just have to take the consequences as they came. 

She finally looked right into his eyes. Stared into them. She braced herself, her heart beating at a speed of a thousand miles a minute. For a moment she just blinked. Blink. Blink. Blink. Then she leaned in. Her lips touched his, if only for a second. 

His lips were soft and full, almost softer than hers. She savored the feeling of his lips on hers. When they pulled away the impression of them was left on her lips. After all, a person's lips are a rather sensitive part of their body compared to for example an arm.

She was still thinking about the kiss, but Adam looked panicked. He placed his head in his hands. What was wrong?

Danika scooted closer to him, wrapping her arm around his shoulders. 

"What is it?" she asked. Maybe it was the kiss, but it could just as well be something else. She knew that if she asked a yes-or-no question and the answer was no she wouldn't find out anything else.

But her attempts were futile. Adam answered with a curt "nothing", even though there clearly was something wrong.

A/N: Quite a different chapter from the last ones. I hope you still like it, though. As always please tell me if there's anything that doesn't make sense or if you notice any mistakes. Thank you so much for reading my story and please consider voting for this chapter if you like it. Have a good day!