Chapter 3

"Hello Adam, this is my father," Danika stopped right in front of me. "I've talked to him and he's willing to pay you two shillings a week, as well as food and a place to stay. What do you think?"

"Are you sure? Mr..." 

"Evenstad,"

"Mr. Evenstad, this is a very generous offer, are you sure?" Adamina asked. It wasn't exactly, but she was just a random person they did not know, and they were also offering her a place to stay and food, both things she desperately needed.

Mr. Evenstad coughed. "Of course I am, otherwise I wouldn't be offering it to you," Adamina could sense that he was just on the brink to being slightly pissed off.

"Well, in that case, of course I accept,"

"Great, you can have the small attic bedroom upstairs, you'll start work tomorrow, as for today Danika will inform you when supper is ready, until then you can do whatever you please," Mr. Evenstad didn't seem to like her very much, it seemed like he'd only given Adamina the offer because Danika must've insisted.

"Okay, follow me and I'll show you your room," Danika said. Why was Danika being so kind to her?

Adamina followed Danika over to the main house and up at least two flights of stairs. It felt incredibly relieving not to have to worry about a long dress getting stuck in something. Even Danika, who seemed to be well accustomed to this, managed to get her dress stuck twice, just on the way up the stairs. 

At last they arrived at the open door to a small room lit only by the light that streamed in from the rooms only window, situated over a small table that contained a pot of ink and an old quill.

"I hope you do not find these arrangements too shabby, though, of course, you are used to living on the street, so most things must be better," Danika said. 

It had only now occurred to Adamina that Danika thought she came from the streets, and not from a castle. What should she say, she who had no knowledge of what living in the street was like?

"Well, there are a few things that are worse, but, you are right, most are better," She must sound like a complete fool, but, how was she, a princess, supposed to know? Adamina lifted her hand up to her hair to twirl it around her finger, but it was no longer there, she remembered a second later. Luckily for her Danika had her gaze fixed on the floor, and therefore did not notice. Now she lifted it slowly, reluctantly. Inch, after inch. 

Danika took a step closer to her and she could feel her heart hitch in her throat. "What happened to your parents?" 

Danika sounded so sympathetic, but Adamina could do nothing but lie like her life depended on it, though it was the last thing she wanted: 

"I do not remember them, I don't know whether they passed away or if they just left me for dead. If I have any siblings I don't know about them,"

Danika took her hand in hers. "I'm so sorry, I wish that never happened to you," Her voice was not laced with sarcasm, or anything else, just pure sorrow for her. 

Why had Danika even decided to talk to her in the first place? She could have just  chased her out of the barn as soon as she noticed me, but she didn't. Danika was such a kind person, she didn't deserve to be lied to, Adamina though as she held her hand, wishing that she would out honesty higher than keeping her secret identity, but she couldn't, she wasn't prepared to loose her newfound freedom.

A/N: If you see this I'm guessing you have read this chapter and possibly the ones before, thank you for reading. Also if you have any questions about the story feel free to comment, and, if you feel this story deserves it, I would love if you would vote for it. Anyway, have a great day and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.