Chapter 19

Adamina:

A week had passed since their little "talk" and it would look as though everything was back to the way it used to be to the outside eye. However it was not. Not at all. Whenever Mr. Evenstad went away on a business trip or was simply outside working in the fields they would sneak behind closed doors and make out. 

If they were lucky they would get even a few whole hours by themselves as sowing seeds was after all a back-breaking and incredibly slow process, taking many a day to finish. They were of course required to help, but they worked in shifts: when Mr. Evenstad was out on the field they would eat and take care of the animals on the farm. Milk the cows and goats, that sort of thing. In return they would be out on the field when Mr. Evenstad fed the animals and ate.

Luckily the days were long, they needed every last bit of sun they could get as there were no other light to work by out in the field. If they were to have been carrying a lamp they would've only been able to use one hand for the sowing, something that would've resorted in the work taking twice as long to complete. And that was not something they could afford, not when the work was already far too slow.

Adamina turned around and kissed Danika, all but one worry evaporating from her brain. Danika made her forget about everything else, but she could not make Adamina forget her guilt for not telling her the truth, not when she still didn't even know.

They kissed for a few more minutes, then she broke away. Even if she wasn't ready to tell Danika the whole truth she could at least try to be a bit honest with her, she thought to herself.

"I'm really sorry I'm so jumpy all the time, I really don't mean to," she said, searching Danika's eyes for the warmth they'd always contained every time she looked into them from the first day they met.

It was easy to find, despite Danika not having had a lot of people around her during her childhood she was inexplicably kind to every single person she met, at least Adamina got that impression. After all she might be wrong, but she knew that the kind of warmth Danika carried with her wherever she went could not be faked, not even by the best actor in the world. Danika cupped Adamina's face in her hands. 

"It's okay," she said, staring into her eyes. "I just wish you would tell me so that I could help you, there's obviously something wrong, and I think you owe it to yourself to be as happy as you can be,"

She kissed Adamina. "And you'll always have me, no matter what,"

"Thank you," Adamina said, even though she wasn't sure she believed it. She knew Danika meant it, what she didn't know was whether Danika would be able to keep her promise. 

A/N: Hi, how are you all doing? I hope you are all okay and safe. What did you think of this chapter? Thank you all so much for reading, it means so much. Please tell me if you notice any errors, including spelling mistakes and consider voting if you think this chapter deserves it. Have a great day!