Chapter 28

Danika: 

They'd started putting up posters about the missing princess now. She supposed it had happened a long time ago in the bigger towns and cities. It was lucky that Adamina was disguised as a boy, no-one would've guess that she was the princess.

Danika played with the idea for a while, Adamina being found and her being left behind there at the farm. Or, maybe she could go with Adamina, be her maid, possibly. Even if she would only be a maid, neither of them would ever have to go hungry. And she would get to spend time with Adamina.

But, then Adamina'd be married off to some prince. Neither of them wanted that, at least she didn't. Adamina would have all the riches she could ask for if she went back to being a princess, but to Danika it seemed like Adamina prefered the farm to the palace.

Strange for Danika, but she guessed not for somene who grew up there, at least if they were unhappy. Adamina had told her about how she rarely saw her parents while growing up and had had to learn far more about etiquette than anyone would ever want to learn.

Danika stood from milking the farm's only cow. The milk bucket jingled as she did so. They hadn't gotten quite as much milk as she had hoped, but it would have to do. Danika hoped the milk amount wasn't planning on continuing to decrease.

She was gonna teach Adamina to milk a cow the following day, she hoped Adamina would be able to take some of the morning milking sessions instead of her, but if the milk was just gonna keep decreasing they'd soon be left with no milk at all.

Briskly, Danika made her way back to the house from the barn. She placed the milk bucket down on the floor in the corner of the kitchen before starting on the stairs up to the second floor.

"Adamina..." Danika whispered into Adamina's ear, shaking her awake.

"What? Oh, good morning." Adamina's eyes jumped to someplace behind Danika, checking if the door was closed before planting a quick peck on her lips. 

Danika really hoped she'd never have to leave, even if that dream wasn't even close to the reality. Somebody would recognise her, and she would have to go back. That was what always happened. Still, she wished that it wouldn't be true for the situation that they were in at the moment. Or, at least, that Adamina wouldn't have to leave just yet, or soon at all.

While Danika's mind was off wondering about future events Adamina had already started to walk and Danika hurried to catch up with her at the top of the stairs. They made breakfast and ate it in silence, afraid of touching in any way in case Danika's father came storming in. 

Even though she couldn't kiss Adamina in the kitchen Danika's soggy porridge tasted far better with Adamina opposite her. And, when her father hadn't come in for a long time, Danika slid my hand over the table to meet Adamina's. Their hands were hidden behind their porridge bowls, so they would be relatively safe if Danika's father decided to come in from the field right then.

A/N: Hey, I'm back at last! For about the next month I won't be able to do regular updates as I will be trying to finish off a different story. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I will do my best to update as often as possible. Hope you enjoyed the story!