Chapter 20

Danika:

Adam closed the door behind them, then he placed his hands gently on either side of her face and drew her to him gently. They kissed for what felt like an eternity but was truly only a second or two. Then they kissed again. And again. This was the best moment in her life. As Adam kissed her, her brain soared into the heavens above.

She never thought she'd ever be able to have feelings for someone whom she could actually be with, a boy. Sure, they have to sneak around and keep their relationship secret now, but she would be able to tell her father and whoever else she would want to tell about it some day. If she had been with a girl, however, it would have been scandalous and she would have been disowned for sure. She wouldn't have been able to live anywhere and be even partially respected by anyone. She would have had to live on the street or build her own house out in the wild because nobody would want to rent or sell a house to her, no matter how much she paid.

And her dad, what would he think? He'd already lost her mother when she died giving birth to her, and, though it obviously wasn't true, she knew her father would feel like he'd lost her too if she ever were to have told him. No, she just needed to be happy, not to focus on the possibly awful outcome of her ever telling her dad that she'd had feelings for a girl. She couldn't ever tell him. If she did she would have no place left to go. 

She had to focus on the positives; she liked someone, and they liked her back. She liked someone who wasn't a girl, but a boy, someone she could marry, that she could be with for the rest of her life openly, if it ended up that way. She didn't need to worry about falling for a girl when she liked a boy. Yes, of course she might have to worry about it later, but for now she could just hope she wouldn't ever have to.

After all she was happy, even if it meant sneaking around behind closed doors to be able to kiss Adam. Even if it meant her father would be mad when he eventually found out. Because he was going to find out and he wasn't going to be pleased, not in the slightest. 

But she knew he would also forgive her. If not in the beginning, then in a few months, or a year or two. Being with Adam wasn't unforgiveable like it would have been had Adam been a girl. She wondered for a moment what Adam would have been like if he was a girl. What would his name have been? Maybe Ada. No, what about Alissa? Would he have been one of those poor beggars in the streets of the town who only got to eat a quarter of a loaf of stale bread a day? She didn't really know. 

A/N: Another chapter at last! I'm working towards at least daily, hopefully twice-a-day updates, though I'm unlikely to be able to actually uphold that schedule. I really need to though, as I have less than a week to get to 20k and I've not even reached 10k. Anyways, enough with my totally random rant. What did you think of this chapter? Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Have a great day!