Chapter 16

Adamina:

"Has Danika told you that I'll be heading into town today?" Mr. Evenstad asked Adamina.

"No, she hasn't," she answered.

"Well I will be, I just hope I can get some good stuff from the money we got from the sales last week," Mr. Evenstad replied, " So you'll be in charge of the farm while I am gone, be sure to milk the cows tomorrow morning, I won't be back until tomorrow afternoon, but I trust you will manage just fine,"

"Yes, of course," she replied, if reluctantly.

"Well then," Mr. Evenstad swallowed the last spoonful of his porridge. "I'll be off," He left and was gone from the property only a few minutes later.

Danika entered the kitchen. "Can you please tell me what is wrong? Do you not like me, because if that's it I'm happy to be just friends,"

Adamina really wanted to tell her. It was so simple, just four words: I am a girl. They were already on the tip of her tongue, but if she did say them Danika was going to totally freak out. It was so simple, yet not at all. Once again all she could do was place her head in her hands and try her best to shut the millions of thoughts running through her head out. 

They didn't belong there, not now, when Mr. Evenstad, who had earlier been her biggest cause of distress, was gone and the only other person around for a hundred miles was Danika. Now she wanted to be happy, but she couldn't, not without her secret being out in the open, for Danika at least, if not for anybody else. 

That's why it's such a bad idea to crush on the person that also happens to be your best friend; you lose the possibility to talk to them about so much of what is happening in your life, because when you're young crushes and heartbreak take up whole days, weeks and months, not just a few hours of each. 

Adamina needed to talk to Danika, but she couldn't ask Danika for advice about telling Danika about something without first having told her, it was impossible. And now that she needed Danika's advice more than ever. True, she'd never really gotten any advice from her, but she did seem like the kind of person who would have good advice to give, even if she wasn't too experienced at giving it.

And, even if she couldn't get her advice, she needed any advice at all, no matter how bad it might be. She tried to think back to the few, very brief, times her mother had talked about boys with her. Of course, most of it wasn't of any use to her, as it was more about etiquette and how she should be acting more 'ladylike' than it was about love, or the lack of it, for that matter.

A/N: And another... Hope you are enjoying the updates.