Chapter 32

Adamina:

It was the fourth day of the Contests and they'd only won a few pieces of gold and a live chicken. They were half-way done and couldn't even survive for more than a few nights on what they'd won. Granted, the biggest prices were given out on the fourth day. They couldn't have won a cow yet. Even so, they'd only won at hurling and skittles. Gameball had left them on second place, at least. And Adamina had won the archery competition. For once she was thankful for everything her parents had made her learn before she ran away. Everyone who worked in the palace had to practice archery at least once a week. That included the royal family. Adamina's dad was a master archer. It had also helped them the last time someone had tried to invade the country. 

Adamina hadn't been alive then, but she'd heard enough stories to fill a library. No one had invaded after that one time. The attackers had lost half their soldiers in two days. Everyone over the age of 25 had to practice archery regulary. Adamina was pretty sure her parents had meant at least once a month. But, people didn't have the time for that. From the results, she would be surprised if any of them practiced close to that often.

Thankfully, they hadn't completely sucked at Gameball, since there were two games of it today. It was the first activity and the third one. They'd both be in the first one, but for the second one there was also a game of Stoolball going on. Adamina wasn't sure whether they should go for the best Stoolball player or the best Gameball player of the two of them. With the long break before the third activity they'd have time to discuss. Now they just had to win at Gameball.

Adamina had stopped while thinking and Danika was now far ahead of her. She ran to catch up.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

Danika shrugged. "I guess, but I'm not sure how we're gonna win this one, when we didn't last time."

"I can't disagree, but there's still a price for both second and third place. We just have to try, I guess."

Danika got kicked the ball from a middleaged guy. The game had begun. Their opponent's goal was more than a kilometer away. Time to start running. Adamina and Danika ran together, Danika kicking the ball and Adamina tackling anyone who got close. This wasn't gonna work with only one of them. How were they supposed to do well in the next one? They had to be at the Stoolball game. 

They won the first gameball and the hurling, then they came close to last in both the second gameball and the stoolball. Adamina started to suspect that it was no longer possible for them to get enough money to buy even the smallest cottage available in the country.

There had to be somewhere else they could get the money. It would be ironic if the only thing keeping her from not being a princess was money when she'd have so much of it if she had to. Maybe that was just the thing. They could steal, but if they stole from Adamina herself, they wouldn't really be stealing. Besides, they'd be sure it was worth the risk of taking it. Almost nowhere else would they find anything as valuable. It would be risky, but if they didn't do it, Adamina would have to go back anyway. Her parents would never harm Danika, and Adamina would say she fooled her. After all, almost nobody had seen the princess in person yet. She was still only a princess, so her parents had tried to keep her as sheltered as possible. 

Adamina would have to talk to Danika later, when they were alone. 

Danika's father had also participated in most of the games that day. He was tired and went to sleep early, leaving lots of time for them to talk.

Danika sat by the fireplace and stoked in the fire.

"Danika, we need to talk about the money." Adamina sat down to her right.

Danika sighed. "I don't know what to do, I don't want you to leave." She turned her head towards Adamina.

"I know, but I think there might be another way. You're not going to like it, but I'm pretty sure it's our only option," Adamina said.

Danika turned so she faced Adamina. "What is it?"

"We can break into the palace, just my room, and steal a few minor things. I'll make sure to take only the things that no-one will notice. Since it's mine, it's not even stealing." Adamina looked down. She knew Danika wouldn't like the idea, but she had to suggest it. She hoped Danika would agree in the end. 

Adamina's freedom was the only thing at stake, and she'd lose it anyway if they didn't do it.

"I don't want to, I really don't, but if we really have to, I'm not gonna stop you. I don't think we have another option, but only if you're sure that you're willing to risk it. If not I'll continue looking for some other way. We don't know, there might be one just around the corner." Danika closed her eyes briefly.

"I don't think there will be, but I am definitely willing to risk it. Though I hope you know the way to the palace from here." 

A/N: Finally a new chapter. I hope everyone is doing okay and I hope you like the chapter. I'm not too far from the end of the story now. Thank you to everyone who's voted or commented. And happy pride month again cause it's still june.