Chapter 11

Danika: 

She sat in the carriage. When her dad left she reached for Adam's hand. He held her hand, squeezed it back, but only for a second. A bird lifted from a nearby branch and Adam's hand was far away from hers in an instant. Well, not far, only a few centimeters away. But that was the farthest he could move his hand without it seeming strange and out of place. 

Danika looked at him. "Are you okay?" she asked, even though she knew she wouldn't get a proper answer.

"I'm fine," he said, confirming her prediction. He was not fine, she knew he wasn't, but for some reason that she didn't know he wouldn't tell her. And for all she knew that reason could be any one reason in the whole wide world, so there was no point guessing. 

She guessed anyway, though. She thought it might have had something to do with the kiss, but it had seemed like he'd wanted it too. He'd returned the kiss, but then he'd pulled away only a second later. It could just have been a reflex, when he'd returned the kiss. After all, it was only for a second, maybe half. 

Now she desperately wanted to put her head in her hands, to just escape from this situation. But she couldn't, she had no choice. For now she was stuck with Adam at the farm, and it wasn't like he was going to tell her anything about how he might or might not feel, no matter how many questions she asked him. 

In the middle of her confused state of mind she got even more confused when Adam's little finger came to rest atop hers. He'd basically jumped away from her when she'd tried to take his hand, but now his finger was touching hers. She guessed it could've just been a coincidence that his finger was atop hers, but from the way he'd shrugged his hand away when she'd tried to take it earlier suggested that he would've jumped even father away from her, probably would've fallen off the wagon, if she were to have done the same. 

Even so she let her brain concentrate on the tingling feeling that came from where his hand touched hers, savoring the feeling, even though she knew it wouldn't last, couldn't last. 

Even though it would be a 'normal' relationship if she and Adam got together she was sure her father wouldn't allow it. He'd have Adam sent away and take away his job, the key to his survival. Of course she was sure he could survive on his own. Maybe in the streets in the town, maybe out in the wild, but it wouldn't be easy, much less enjoyable.

Living on the streets, without even a shack to sleep in was not a life she'd want for even the worst people alive, and she meant the worst of the worst. It was hell on earth and the worst was that there were loads of innocent people forced to live their lives that way, without even a chance to be happy, or to have a family that they could provide for, or be provided by.

A/N: What did you think of the chapter? What do you think of Danika's POV in general? I know, there have only been two chapters from her POV, and I was wondering what you guys think of them. As always thank you so much for reading and have as good a day as you can.