Chapter 33

Danika:

When Adamina told Danika about the plan she had Danika thought she was being crazy. She didn't say that, of course. She didn't really mean it, not in that way. But she didn't want her to put herself at risk. She was too important, to her and to everyone. Danika stayed quiet for a long while. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to call Adamina crazy or walk away from her. She knew it was just her being scared that something would happen to Adamina, mostly, and a little scared that she'd never see her again. She knew it was just because she loved her. And she knew she was being irrantional. The worst possible scenario was Adamina having to go back to being a princess and Danika never seeing her again, the second worst the same just with Danika as her maid. At least then I'd be able to see her again. 

She'd have to watch Adamina get married to someone she didn't love. Maybe Danika would help raise Adamina's kids that she didn't know if Adamina wanted.  Either way, the same would happen if they didn't go. Danika stared at the fire. It grew and then it dwindled, not dying completely, not yet. She'd have to feed it quite a bit before they went to bed. It would die in the early morning hours as it always did, but it could not die before then. Otherwise, they'd freeze all night. 

There was really only one thing to do. Danika could ask Adamina not to go, she could beg her, tell her that they'd find another way. But in the end, they both knew there was no longer another way.

"Okay." Danika turned to Adamina. Danika told her they'd do it, that they'd break in if they had to, but only if Adamina was okay with the risk. Otherwise Danika would try her best to find another solution, even if she was almost certain that there was none. 

"When do we go?" Danika asked.

"I don't know, how far are we from the palace, how long would it take to get there?" Adamina said.

"It would take a few hours. It would be best if we could go on an over night trip to somewhere that was closer before we rob it. We might still make it in time from here, but it'll be barely and we won't get a single wink of sleep that night. Do you think you can handle that?" Danika got up from in front of the fireplace and sat in the chair next to it.

Adamina got up too and perched on the armrest of the chair. "I think I will, besides, do I have a choice? Maybe ask your father if there are any upcoming trips? If not, maybe he'll go to bed early tomorrow too, since there are still games then. He's been exhausted every day of the Contests. We'll get some extra time if we go then. What do you think?"

Danika was pretty sure it wouldn't work. It was too little time to plan and prepare, but then wasn't it sometimes better to go with the flow? Danika just wanted to get it over with. Going tomorrow would make sure of that. Though she loved her dad a lot, she was starting to grow tired of never being able to be with Adamina or talk to her other than at night. Danika was done with having to be careful about holding Adamina's hand or even just walking too close to her. If this worked they could leave next week if they wanted. Danika was getting older and she didn't need her dad to look out for her any more. He needed to get a life. She'd have to leave him a letter, of course, so he knew she was okay.

"It's not a lot of time, but we might make it if we stay up late and plan everything now."

"Lets do that then." Adamina got up and started pacing. "What do we need to do?"

A/N: Another chapter. I'm trying to update somewhat regularly, 1-2 times a day, though there sadly won't be a specific weekday that chapters will be published on. What do you think of the character's plan to break into the palace?