Chapter 17

Danika:

She stared out of the window, watching the sun set and stirring her potato soup slowly. Now and then she took a spoonful, just to pretend that she was enjoying the meal. She was not, at all.

Adam has been nervous around her all day long, only ever even looking at her when he thought she wasn't looking at him. But she saw it, because she was always looking at him. She watched his every move. She knew she shouldn't, but now that he wasn't even talking to her it was hard to resist. She had to do something to try to stay sane, even if there was not much that she could do.

She watched him now, through her eyelashes. He was beautiful as always, kind and incredible, and also her best friend. Though she didn't know how long that would last as they were no longer on speaking terms. She guessed they would have to speak again sometime, seeing as they were the only ones here, except for, usually, her dad.

But now he wasn't here, and she'd spent a whole day without saying a word to Adam. she really wished they could just be friends again. She was totally fine with just friendship, though she could tell that both of them wanted more, but Adam wasn't ready, so she had to respect him. She just wished he could respect her in the same way, that he could just be her friend no matter what she might feel for him.

Though, she knew it wasn't just because of her that the situation was weird. It was because Adam had feelings for her, but she didn't know, maybe he was afraid of his feelings. She knew she'd felt quite afraid when she'd finally figured out that she'd had a crush on Mia. It took her almost half a year to figure out, but she still almost wished she'd never worked it out, at least then she would've been able to live happily in this farm, alone with her dad, without ever having to worry about what the future might hold.

Because she knew she would always have food on the table, her dad was a farmer, so she was at least lucky with that, if not with anything else. If there was a bad year the food would be a little sparse, but they wouldn't go hungry like the people back in town. Every time there was a bad year almost half of them died. You'd wonder how there are still enough of them left to fill up the streets. The world was cruel like that. Even with so many dying each year there is still enough poverty and awfulness to fill all the streets in a town, even the bigger ones. She had only ever been to one big town, and there were about twice as many beggars per street as in their local town.

She could try to help them, but, especially now with Adam here, they didn't have enough food to feed another hungry mouth, not unless they wanted to starve ourselves. Nor would her father ever let her share any of the food, for that sake. He'd get mad if she even so much as thought about giving away their food to a bunch of strangers.

A/N: The last chapter for now.