Chapter 22

Danika:

Adam kissed her. Then he stopped. He sank down onto a stool, his hands covering his face as she'd seen him do so many times before. 

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said.

She stayed quiet for a while, but she couldn't keep it in much longer. He'd said this so many times before, too, that there was nothing wrong, but clearly there was. She didn't know what it was or whether it was the same thing that had made him despair earlier or not, but she could do nothing at all if he didn't tell her what was the matter.

"There very clearly is," she said, glancing at the wall behind her. Even though she liked being totally honest it was still quite new to her. Out side of her own thoughts, that was.

He couldn't even look her in the eyes. What was it that could be so awful that it could cause him all this pain, and that he wouldn't share with her? Sure, they'd only known each other for a little over half a year, but half a year wasn't that short and even if it was it still felt like they'd known each other for all their lives, at least it felt that way to her. She looked at him sitting there right next to her, less than a meter away. 

But he was not happy, not in the way she'd felt after they'd started sneaking around to kiss each other. She knew he liked the kissing just as much as she did, but there was still something wrong. She did not know what it could be, and he wasn't going to tell her. He couldn't, he was too upset by it to be able to share it, but still she wished he would. Even if it had nothing to do with her. 

No, she did not want to know just so that she knew, she wanted to know it so that she could help him, and even if there was little she could do she knew full well how much easier something was if it was not fully a secret but rather a secret between two, or three. Even if you still had to hide from the rest of the world you could at least be yourself with those few people whom you'd trusted with your secret. You didn't have to be all alone just to be able to be your self. You didn't have to choose between being lonely or being in hiding. 

Not that she had experienced having someone to tell her secrets to without them freaking out. She had tried to tell Mia about her feelings for her, but now she was glad she'd never had the courage to do so. When Mia had found out that her older brother liked boys she'd told their parents and ruined her brother's life forever. If she'd found out that Danika both liked girls and had liked her she would've never spoken to her again but still made perfectly sure that her life was ruined forever.

A/N: How are you all doing? I did not get through to the next round in ONC, but I'm still going to finish this story of course. I hope you are enjoying reading this story, I know I am enjoying writing it. What do you think of the characters so far? Please tell me, I really need the feedback. Anyways, have a great day!