Happy Anniversary - Part 2

AN: :(

You woke up early the morning in pain. The bathtub wasn't the most comfortable place in the world so your neck was in desperate need of a message.

After stretching your limbs to deal with the pain, you stood up and quickly washed up. Lauren was still at your sister's place and you needed to go get her.

As you got out of the bathroom to change, you noticed Lena had fallen asleep in besides the door. The sight in front of you pulled at your heart and despite being upset at her, you gently picked her up and laid her down on the bed. Not wanting to be around when she woke up, you quickly dressed and headed out to your sister's place to pick up Lauren.

X

"I had so much fun mom. Riley was showing me all these cool things with her microscope."

Lauren had been telling you for the past couple of minutes what she had done all day but you could hardly focus on what she was saying. All you could think about was how Lena had forgotten all about your anniversary. Sure, Lena would often forget about the outside world when she was too invested in a project but never to the point that she forgot something as important as an anniversary.

"Mom? Are you listening?"

"Oh, of course. You were talking about Riley's microscope."

Lauren was satisfied with your answer and continued going on about her day as you drove home. You didn't want to face Lena but Lauren would be able to tell something was up if you drove somewhere else.

X

"Mum! You made breakfast."

Lauren ran up to hug Lena as the two of you arrived. You looked at all the food she had made and you just knew this was her way of trying to make it up to you.

"I sure did, I made both of your favorites!"

Lauren leaned in to kiss Lena's cheek and served herself before taking a seat.

"Did the two of you have a good anniversary date? Aunt kept going on and on about how romantic it was going to be."

"Lau..."

"It was fantastic, sweetheart. Your mum made it a special day as always."

You answered before Lena could. You felt a lump in your throat grow as you looked over to Lena.

"I'm sorry, baby. I need to go in to the office."

Lena had assumed you were talking to her and turned around to answer to you, only to realize that you had been talking to Lauren.

"It's okay, mom. Me and mum will just stay at home and watch some movies."

You nodded and rushed out the door.

As soon as you closed the door to your office, you let out the tears you were holding in. It was bad enough to pretend everything was fine but to lie to Lauren. You felt sick. Not really in the mood, you grabbed your emergency alcohol stash and just drank straight from the bottle. Not really finding a need to pour yourself anything.

X

Lena was an absolute wreck. The only reason she was able to hold it in together was because of Lauren. She hated herself for what had happened and knew that if she didn't talk to you, it would get worse. Calling Kara and Lucy to babysit, Lena left as soon as they came over.

Not really knowing where you were, Lena figured it wouldn't hurt to check your office.

"(Y/n)..."

You looked up at the sound of your name. You almost scoffed as you saw Lena.

"What do you want?"

"I came to talk to you, I want to make things right."

You weren't drunk but the alcohol sure allowed you to say what you had been holding back.

"Like you haven't said that a thousand times before. You're going to apologize like always and then promise me that you'll stop putting work at the top of your priority list. When is it going to be my turn Lena?"

Lena was about to speak up but you didn't let her.

"I might do stupid things and annoy you but I've never made you doubt how important you are to me. Never. Work has always come second. With you, I always worry that you'll forget you have a family. You stopped doing it when we had Leon but it started up again when Lauren was born."

You wiped away the tears you hadn't even realized that were sliding down your cheeks.

"Get out. I need to be alone."

"But..."

"Get out Lena! I'll let you know when I'm ready to talk, not you. Not anymore."

You brushed her off as she tried to kiss you.

"I love you, (y/n)."

You hear her whisper before she leaves.

Lena knew you were right. For the past couple of months, she had been prioritizing work. Taking advantage of the fact that you never said anything. She wasn't sure what to even do to make things right.