Chapter 30: A Beer

Jolene's POV:

I kept hearing her, her voice, she was talking so low I wasn't sure if I was just hearing things. I went to sleep a lot earlier than I wanted but I was exhausted.

Somethings wrong though because now I don't know why I heard Kilana.

Walking over to the large gate, I held onto it and stared ahead at the home. It was silent now, they all were.

"You rushed out of bed pretty quick." Thomas said worriedly as he held the gun and ran a hand down my back.

I crossed my arms around my chest, the last thing I need is for him to think I've lost my shit. At this point that's exactly what I believe is happening.

Smiling softly to Thomas, I eyed the houses, "Just a bad dream, I had to make sure there weren't flying monkeys in the sky." I said playfully.

His eyes held mine before his jaw twitched a bit. "Come eat breakfast." He said brushing my hair back and leading me back inside.

I could tell he was a bit upset about me not telling him the truth, after-all we've never kept secrets from one another. This though, it wasn't something I felt would be okay to tell him. It's his wife, the mother of his first child. She's my sister but she was his world.

Sam walked down the stairs yawning obnoxiously as the kids laughed and he smiled down at them.

He was happy his granddaughter Dayna was alive and safe, it's only sad that she's more depressed and sad than I've ever seen her. That'll happen when the love of your life dies.

Thomas and Sam had always been close, and he was one of the few men who did know about vampires.

Sam was a handsome older man, in his mid fifties but when I was in high school, he was the hottest guy I'd ever seen.

I had the biggest crush on him. The biggest.

But that was just because I knew Thomas was off limits. We had a small makeout session at a party once, with a stupid spin the bottle game, but we never really grew past that. I knew he was too much older to be with me.

Thomas shared a laugh with Sam and they headed into the kitchen while I lingered back.

"For the love of God, Lucas! I told you not to- forget it." Norah said grabbing her daughters hand and rushing Lucas out with ink all over his hands.

Lana was in the kitchen with Heath on her hip while she softly talked to him and smiled brushing his little hair back.

She was handling her loss greatly.

"I still can't believe you bitches left me." Maddie, who I've come to realize is an old friend of Dayna and Lisa, stated pouring herself a cup of tea.

Lisa smirked down at her, "We figured your crazy wild ass could handle yourself. We were right." She said cocking an eyebrow at her.

Maddie nodded, "Yeah, I'm a bit amazing." She said proudly.

It's a bit interesting to see all these old faces popping up, like parts of people's past.

A sigh came and I watched the door open to show Valdus walked in covered in sawdust, sweat and dirt.

He walked past Lana, giving Heath a small gentle look before going to the fridge and grabbing a beer.

This early in the morning?

I didn't say anything, I just watched.

Thomas and Sam headed out to the backyard and Lana's focus was heavy on Valdus, "We started, there's four small houses already built in the backyard. We should have about three more ready by the afternoon." He said before drinking the beer.

She gave a small nod, "Are they already claimed?" She asked holding Heath to her chest.

Valdus gave a nod, "Yours will be number 5. The homes are the size of this kitchen but they're nice for privacy." He said shrugging.

Her eyes lit up mischievously before she focused away from him, "I get a house?" She asked laughing a bit.

I liked to watch the two, they were clearly two magnets dying to slap together but they both were so distant from it. They hadn't wanted to.

His eyes ran over her face, and he nodded, "Yeah, Jolene insisted." He said gesturing to me.

What? I didn't.

Valdus's eyes held a small plead and I gave a soft smile, "I figured you'd need privacy. Raising a baby is very sentimental and tiring." I lied while she gave me a smile back, "Thank you. Both." She said staring from me to Valdus.

He gave a small nod and took the bottle, heading out the door.

I remember the first time I ever met Valdus, he was such an quiet and shy kid. He cried when he met me and said he was terrified of being away from his mom. Viktor was so stern with him, so-cold. Valdus grew up with the lack of fatherly love, and the lack of a mother figure. He was raised similar to how Emma was. Just for a purpose, like a robot or a cow led to slaughter.

Yet, he was so thoughtful.

Even with Anne.

Anne's POV:

A small shake came to my body, "Wake up, please. Please." Jessa's voice was quiet, and gentle.

I opened my eyes and turned, looking to Michael who was slowly waking up too.

"I need help. Michael can you help me?" She was talking to Michael not me. Maybe I could go back to sleep.

He sat up, "What is it?" He asked while I sat up too, realizing I shouldn't go back to bed. That'd just be insensitive to Michael.

Jessa sat on the bed looking to us both, "So I uh-I can't say, she told me I couldn't. But I need the barrier" she whispered "Lifted a bit."

It was like she was terrified someone would hear.

She definitely grew both of our attentions now.

Michael furrowed his eyebrows and we shared a confused look, "Who? Who's she?" He asked but she shook her head, "I can't say it out loud." She repeated.

What the fuck is this shit?

I looked to the bed to see Vydia and Lucien gone. Early birds.

"Get a paper. Write it." I said watching Jessa nod and run around the room grabbing things and then writing.

She handed it to us and then bit her lip furrowing her eyebrows. "Don't read it aloud." She said nervously.

Right.

'Petra has a body now. Andres did a spell for her and some other woman. They're vampires now. But Andres is dead dead now. I need to get them in but they both said not to let anyone know.'

What?

I read it over twice and Michael ran his finger over the words stopping at 'Other woman' "How do we know this woman's not bad?" He asked Jessa.

She shook her head, "Oh no, she's definitely good. Trust me. I mean I don't know who she is, but Petra trusts her and says she's good." Jessa said quietly.

We better not be letting in some psychos.

Michael sighed and nodded, "Alright. Do me a favor, don't share this with anyone." He said to Jessa who nodded.

Wonderful.

"Let's get Koda." I said watching him nod in agreement.

Who better to prove its Petra than her twin?