Chapter 38: Nathan, Nate

Nathan's POV:

Katie was asleep with Ace on the couch and I gave a soft sigh as I noticed it's almost four in the morning.

I might as well be awake now.

Giving Katie a last look back, I softly shut the door and felt that sadness in my chest.

It's hard to think I couldn't save my own daughter when the time really came.

Being a father is some hard fucking shit.

Running my hand over my face, I pinched the bridge of my nose and headed down the stairs, cursing at the fact these stairs are fucking endless.

I went to the kitchen after forever passed and turned the coffee machine on, filling it with coffee grains and water before pressing start.

Leaning my back into the counter, I waited while the sound of creaking floorboards outside the kitchen came.

She pushed the door open and walked in looking to me with surprise. Her dark hair was to her shoulders, a beautiful figure and her eyes a bright golden brown.

"I'm sorry, I just can't sleep." She said laughing shyly, she gave the coffee pot a look over, "Can I bum some off you?" She asked grabbing out a mug and then when I gave a nod, she took another mug out.

I watched her stare at the mugs as she put them down, "I'm Anna." She said holding a hand out to me.

Giving her hand a shake, I smiled, "Nathan, Nate, whatever's easier for you to remember." I sounded like an idiot, but I'm barely waking up. Usually I don't talk, usually I tell people not to talk to me this early.

"You're Katie's dad right? The uh, the sheriff?" She asked giving me a small smirk as she tried to guess.

I felt a bit bad for not ever knowing her before this. I didn't even recognize her at all, but I know if I had seen her on the island I would've gotten to know her. She's got a distinct beauty.

I gave a nod, she smiled, looking proud of herself for getting it right.

"Do you have kids?" I asked to keep the conversation going.

She laughed and gave a nod, "Yeah, I do. She's precious." She said thoughtfully while staring at the coffee pot.

Then she peeked over at me and then stared back at the coffee pot. "Creamer?" She asked as she began to busy herself by searching the cabinets.

I shook my head, "Who's your daughter?" I asked feeling curiouser and curiouser about her.

She gazed up at me and laughed, then she fiddled with the lid of the creamer. Her eyes moved to the door as it pushed open.

Thomas walked in and stared at the coffee pot, "Good." He said turning and staring at Anna with a tired look. "Why'd you leave the bed? Get kicked off?" He asked laughing low while grabbing a mug.

I stayed quiet and tried to look busy and studious while watching the coffee pot.

She laughed and made a small throat clearing sound, "I snuck into her room to watch her sleep. I know it's creepy, I know but I had to Tommy." She said a bit pleadingly.

A sigh came, "Michael let you?" He asked with a small scoff.

She repeated 'no' a bunch of times before she said "I had to tell him because he wanted to kill me. But he let me stay in the room and I got to brush her cheek." She sounded very creepy.

Very creepy.

Up until everything started to slowly click.

Thomas, Jolene, sharing a bed with a woman....