Healing Hugs

Hugs are actually so underrated, especially those hugs that are so tight you can hear the person's heartbeat and for a moment, everything feels so calm and safe like no one can hurt you.

•|•|•|•|•

Dave’s POV.

Three days. I did not talk to Kath for three days. I was just so angry at her irrational decision to go off on her own without letting anyone know. Kath tried to apologize to me every time she saw me but I always ignored her. I started eating my food outside because of her.

“Dave, stop being stubborn and tell Katherine you accept her apology” my mom commanded, glaring at me. “that angel has been so sad and upset that you haven’t forgiven her. I taught you to forgive and forget, are you doing what I taught you?!”.

I sighed, “mom, don’t try to blackmail me. And also, Kath isn’t sorry. I don’t believe she is. How could she have left the house and not urgh?! She is 22 and yet she always behaves so childishly”.

“I understand your frustration Dave but you are hurting her by being this way” Mom replied softly.

“I’m leaving mom, bye” I said and went inside to drop my empty plate of food. I bumped into Kath on the way but I didn’t look at her. I walked past her and left. She needs to learn a lesson on being responsible. She is not alone, nor will she ever be again so she should stop thinking only about herself.

Oh God! I can’t stop thinking about this girl.

I gritted my teeth, upset at myself for caring so much. I went to a job interview and luckily I got the job. I have decided to work some more for a while so I can start a catering business by the time I return to Lagos, then I will have a restaurant.

I can see it happening.

After a while, Sandra and I met again at a bus stop near her work place. Since the event of Kath’s disappearance disrupted our day, we agreed to meet again today. “Wow, you look very upset Dave. What happened?” Sandra asked.

“really? It shows on my face?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah” Sandra laughs, “it’s like a storm cloud over your head. Filled with lightning and rain, very stormy”.

I laughed a bit, then frowned, “yeah. It’s just Katherine. I am just so angry that she left the house that day. She has the tendency to do irrational and spontaneous things. She always puts me in trouble”.

“but that’s not why you are angry right?”.

“yeah” I sighed, “I am angry at how scared I was that something may have happened to her and I wouldn’t be able to do anything. Kath is my responsibility and she makes my work harder by just…uff!”.

“okay, that’s enough Kath talk” Sandra said holding my hand, “let’s go to my house. I can tell you need a break”.

“Okay” I nodded and followed Sandra to her one room apartment. Unfortunately, it wasn’t very nice. The environment was just cramped and dirty. “Sorry about everywhere” Sandra apologized sheepishly, “I would have moved out but since it’s only me staying here, I haven’t seen any reason to”.

“It’s okay” I sat on the couch and Sandra went inside to change. She came out with her memory box and I grinned, “you still have it?”.