Two Months Later

Love gives birth to sacrifice which brings forth hatred and let’s you know pain.

•|•|•|•|•

TWO MONTHS LATER

Dave's POV.

I stared at the wall in front of me absentmindedly. It had been two months since Kath left and a lot of things had changed. I sighed and got up. I wore a pair of blue jeans and a checkered shirt. I looked at myself in the mirror dully and only when I was sure I looked okay did I come out. I was going to see Sandra today. I walked to the living room but stopped when I heard my name. Ayo was back again and he was talking to mom.

After Kath left, Ayo had been traveling back and forth from Lagos to Cross River to check up on me. He is a good friend. I listened to their conversation. “…I don’t like seeing Dave like this. He looks so lifeless, he is never really happy anymore” mom said sounding heartbroken, “he has been like this since Katherine left. What can we do...”.

I decided to walk in and interrupt them. Ayo was about to talk when he saw me come in. I gave him an impassive look. “Hey Dave, how have you been?” Ayo said cheerily. He came over to hug me and I hugged him back. “what are you doing here?” I asked monotonously.

“what else but to see you buddy?” Ayo replied still cheerful. He looked at me, “where are you going?”.

I put my hands in my pocket, “to see Sandra. She wanted to meet up”.

“okay, let me drop you off” He said. I thought about it and nodded, “okay”. “Great” Ayo said and went out. I followed him after saying bye to mom.

I arrived at the café Sandra wanted to meet up and I found her on a seat. I joined her and forced a smile. “Hey” I greeted. It seemed a fake smile has been easier for me to put on these days.

Sandra looked deep in thought. “Hey” she said moodily, She didn’t look like herself. I furrowed my brows at her, “what is it?”. I placed my hand on hers which was on the table. She looked at me.

“Do you love me?” she suddenly asked. I felt my hand loosen.

“love you?” I gulped, “of course I do, I love you. You are my girlfriend after all”. Sandra looked sadder after hearing that and she pulled away. She began to wipe the tears that escaped her eyes.

“What is it? Don’t cry” I said feeling bad, “what is the problem?”.

“You, you don’t love me” Sandra shook her head.

“But I do”.

“no you don’t. Okay, look into my eyes and tell me you love me”.

“Why are we doing this?” I said exasperated. Something in me didn’t want to do this. Maybe I didn’t want Sandra to read whatever I felt because even I didn’t know what I felt.

“see, you don’t love me”.

“Fine” I gave up. I stared into her eyes and found myself faltering. I hid it quickly and said what she wanted. “i-I love you” I stuttered.

“see” Sandra smiled bitterly. I looked away. “How are you so sure I don’t love you?” I asked in a quiet voice.

“You gave me a reason to why you loved me. When you love someone, you don’t give a reason. You love them because they complete you but me,” Sandra smiled bitterly, “you don’t love me. If you did, you don’t love me any more”.

“Sandra, I–“.

Sandra raised her hand and stopped me.  She looked at me pained, “I can't do this anymore Dave. You don't love me. Don’t you realize it?. I can’t keep hurting myself like this and I can’t keep hurting you”.  Sandra took my hand and stared at me, “look at you, you haven’t been happy ever since…she left”.