Graduation

Graduation Day

Holy shit today is the day!
I was fixing the collar on my white button down shirt and adjusting my tie before standing back to check myself out in the mirror. I kept it simple, black skinny jeans and tie, white button down and shoes and of course the Gucci belt.

"Whoa didn't know your hair could stand so tall." I looked down in the mirror, Auden was leaning against the doorframe behind me.

"Oh stop.. for real though, you think this looks okay with green hair?" She laughed before coming up and turning me to face her. Her fingers pressed down on the collar of my shirt making sure it laid flat.
"You'll be the best looking zombie out there." I peered down at Auden giving her a look. "Milo I'm kidding you'll be the best looking man out there."
Man? Okay I'll take it, I stood a little straighter as I looked in the mirror.

"I can't believe your graduating today.." Auden spoke up after a minute, I was making sure I had my phone and wallet as we made my way out of my room.

My mom saw us as we met in the kitchen, her eyes already started to spill over with tears. Oh no, Auden made a unrecognizable noise behind me and I turned to see her with tears threatening to spill as well.
"No no don't you two dare.." I choked out, fuck anytime either of them started to cry it messed with my emotions.
"Leave us alone, this is our day! I've waited for this day for 18 years.. it seems like only a few years ago you were just 3 or 4."
"And now your all grown up.." Auden broke, her and my mom hugged each other. "I still remember you when you ran around set with your little guitar and those little boots."
"Audie stop it your going to make me cry!" They dabbed at each other's make up, my moms assistant Liz came in and saw what was happening. "Oh no.. uh girls can you come and do some touch ups?" My moms make up team was quick to come in and make sure Auden and my moms make up wasn't all over the place. "Thank god for waterproof mascara.." One of them mumbled as they checked them over.

"Okay people we have a graduation to get too!"

Someone from my moms team came up to me and gave me my freshly steamed cap and gown, mama didn't play. I was getting anxious as my nerves suddenly kick up. Anytime there was an audience I got jumpy, I just needed to try and——-
"Breathe." Auden's voice was gentle as she gave me a soft hug from behind. I could feel her chin press against my back just below my shoulder.
"Thank you."
"Here I was going to wait until later tonight but seems like you could use the reminder." She held up a small box that she brought out from her purse. I opened it to see a silver band, looking it over I could see something engraved in cursive along the outside of the band.
It said; Breathe
Next to it there was a little symbol..
"It's half of a heart, because where ever this new chapter takes you I'll always be right there with you."
"Audie.." It came out as a breathless whisper, I had to fight the tears back.
"I love you Mi." God all I wanted to do was pick her up and spin her around. I wanted to kiss her but instead.. I hugged her. Her lips met my cheek, as she pulled away our eyes met and it felt like we both froze. Her arms hung loosely around my neck while my hands kept her hips against mine.
"I.. I should probably go find my seat. Ceremony starts soon.."
"Yeah... you...you should go do that." Reluctantly I let her go, I handed her the empty ring box back before slipping on the silver band. It fit perfectly on my ring finger and didn't clash with my "Zed" ring that remained on my index finger.

"I love you Audie.." Before she walked to her seat, I placed a tender kiss against her temple and gave her hand a squeeze.

The ceremony started, music blasted through the speakers as all of my classmates and I made the long slow walk to our seats. It seemed like it went by in a blink of an eye, suddenly they were calling out names. I was next to stage as I waited for my name to be called. I could see Auden, then my Mom, Dad and my Bubbe followed by the rest of my moms family. It felt like something was stuck in my throat before I could think about it too much I got the signal to walk up the steps.