When Your Worst Enemy is Your Memory

That night Everyone had the biggest smiles on their faces. Peter and Maya smiled as they slept on the couch and everyone else smiled no matter where they were. It was unbelievable to think Peter was finally home.

Maya managed to sleep peacefully in her brothers arms, her only thought being him finally being with her again. Peter had a little but more of a struggle to sleep peacefully. His memories and nightmares haunted his sleep, never allowing him to close his eyes in peace.

Currently The Avengers were spread all through the compound except Steve and Tony who were still in the living room watching tv. Peter was still asleep on the other couch but Maya had woken up and was watching tv with them.

Nobody talked for a little while and instead payed attention to the movie. That's why it was so alarming when a small whimper came from the still asleep Peter.

Steve and Tony looked at each other with sad eyes while Maya looked slightly confused. "Maya why don't you go see what Natasha is doing?" Steve said, quietly. Maya shrugged and left.

Steve and Tony knelt down beside Peter as his face scrunched up in fear and an occasional whimper or cry could be heard. Tony gently began to rub circles on Peter's palm as Steve tried to coax him out of the clear nightmare.

Steve and Tony knew they shouldn't wake someone up from a nightmare but they couldn't bare to see Peter in such a state. Not to mention PTSD formed nightmares are much different then normal ones.

Peter suddenly shot up from his sleep, drenched in sweat, and his heart pumping out of his chest. Steve reached a comforting arm around him and held him sight with support. Peter looked in between Steve and Tony determined not to cry in front of them.

"It's okay, Pete. It was only a dream. We're here." Tony reassured. 'We're here.' Peter repeated in his mind. He pulled his knees to his chest, not caring if Tony and Steve saw or what they would think of him.

"I'm sorry." Peter said with a shaky voice that was clear to be on the break of tears. Tony and Steve's faces softened. "Peter it's not your fault. It's okay. It was only a dream." Steve reassured.

'But it wasn't only a dream. If it's a memory then it's not only a dream.' Peter thought. "I'm sorry. I look like a child, I shouldn't be like this." He said.

For Peter his past was an armor. He couldn't take it off no matter how many times he was told the battle was over.

Steve cupped Peter's hands. "Your allowed to act your age. And this isn't a childish thing. This is normal and not something you need to be Ashamed of." He said. "Do you wanna...talk...about it?" Tony asked hesitantly, not sure how to go about it. He wasn't good with feelings and knew it.

"No, it's just dumb memories and childish stuff. It doesn't even matter." Peter said, pushing Tony and Steve's arms off of him and getting up off the couch. It came off more rude then he had intended. "I'll be in the training room." He said before walking off.

A moment of silence filled the living room. "Well we messed that up." Tony announced, getting up off the floor and sitting back in the couch.

"We didn't mess anything up. Peter just has trouble letting people help him and comfort him." Steve reassured. "So we're just going to let him go to the training room and probably melt into a ball of emotion?" Tony asks.

"He's probably going there to just work off some steam. Everyone had their ways of dealing with stuff like this." Steve Answers. "I hate being so useless in this situation." Tony mumbles.

Steve offers a smile. "Hey, your doing great. He just needs time." He says. Tony gives a small smile back.

Peter stumbles until the training room. He rubs his eyes, making sure to fight back any tears or emotion he has. He walks up to the punching bag and beats the heck out of it.

"Well someone had a rough day." Natasha says from behind Peter. Peter jumps, slightly. Maya was ghosting behind Natasha. "Oh, uh, I, uh." Peter rubs the back of his neck.

"Relax. Wanna train? I've missed our little spars." Natasha says. "I'm gunna go check on Bruce." Maya says as she leaves. Peter smiles, forgetting everything that happened only moments before.

"I'd love to." He answers. They walk onto the training mat. "Hope you haven't gotten rusty while I've been away." Peter says, trying to distract Natasha. It doesn't work. "Nope I've been to busy beating up Clint." Natasha answers with a smirk.

She takes a swing at Peter but he avoids it. Peter attempts to kick her but fails when she catches it and flips him. Peter lands on his feet in a crouched position and kicks at her legs. Natasha falls but only for a moment before she sprung herself back up and kicks Peter in the stomach.

They continue to find, round after round, until Clint comes in. "Hey, Peter. Tony is busy in his lab but he asked me to tell you that it's getting late and he wants you to make sure to get some sleep." Clint says with a smirk.

"He's becoming such a dad." Natasha teases. "That is true. Tony never really liked kids before he met you guys." Clint says. Peter just awkwardly stood their. "He's determined to not be like his dad and be a better Father for you and Maya." Natasha says to Peter.

Peter felt awkward. "Uh, he's not my dad-"
"Maybe not biologically but you can't deny he's a father figure in your life." Natasha says.

"Guys, your making him uncomfortable, jeez. What is this an interrogation?" Bruce says, walking in. Peter chuckles. "Thanks Bruce." He says. "We will revisit this." Clint says. Peter sighs, good naturally.

"Anyway, Peter, I was wondering if you could help me in my lab for a second. I figured since Tony lets you help him then you much know something and could see something I don't." Bruce explains.

"Sure, I'll be there soon." Peter Answers. Bruce leaves with a thumbs up. "So your gunna disobey Tony's request for you to get to bed?" Clint asks. "I don't ever know what your talking about." Peter says with a smirk as he backpedals to the door. Natasha's face palms.

Peter walked away with the cheekiest, most mischievous, grin.

A/N
Sorry about this chapter. It's a filler chapter. Also I had someone ask if I was taking suggestions. If you would like to leave a suggestion then feel free to do so and I'll see if it fits with what I have planned! The amount of support on this is barmy so thank you all so much and Have a lovely day!

 If you would like to leave a suggestion then feel free to do so and I'll see if it fits with what I have planned! The amount of support on this is barmy so thank you all so much and Have a lovely day!