How Do You Run From a Mess You Created?

-
-
-

TW:
Crying, intrusive thoughts,

(Please tell me if I missed any)

"Tony...he's awake." Steve said, dropping his normally cool, Calm, and collected personality having it instead be replaced with frantic worry.

"He is?" Tony confirmed. Steve nodded and motioned for Tony to follow him. They basically bolted down the hallways like children on Christmas morning. They stopped right outside the medical room in front of Bruce.

"He's awake?" Tony asks. "Well only for a minute. He's been slipping in and out of consciousness but if you were to go in and try talking to him I'm sure you could stable his activity." Bruce explained.

Tony and Steve nodded and went in. They saw Peter still asleep and or unconscious on the bed. Steve pulled up a rolling chair and passed it to Tony whilst he just crouched down next to the bed.

Minutes later Peter's eyes fluttered open. "Tony?" He muttered, his eyes not fully opened. "Yeah, kid, I'm here, I'm here." Tony tried to comfort. Peter eyes opened a little more.

Peter tried to move his arms to sit up. "Hey relax, Peter, you don't wanna hurt yourself more." Steve said gently. "Is it really you guys?" Peter asked. It broke their hearts that Peter didn't know what was real and fake anymore.

"Yeah Peter it's me." Steve said gripping Peter's hand in his own. "Tell me something only Steve and Tony would know." Peter had managed to push himself against the far sides of the bed, away from Tony and Steve.

He was fiddling with his hands, bringing his thumb in between his middle and index them back between his thumb and index. "You beat Clint's high score in Mario cart by complete accident." Tony said without hesitation.

"Uh, we bought you a set of ancient mind puzzles and you figured each one out in the hour they were given to you." Steve said after a little thought. Peter looked skeptical but mostly fearful.

"S-sorry for doubting you." He apologized. "It's okay, kiddo. Can we come over to you? And hug you and cheesy stuff?" Tony asks, trying to hide the seriousness of The question.

Peter paused a moment before nodding. Steve and Tony puller him into a gentle hug.

"I'm sorry, Peter. I should never of let this happen. I'm sorry I didn't find you earlier. I'm sorry you went through so much and I wasn't there. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." Tony apologized as he embraced the terrified child.

His voice came out uneven wavy but Peter understood each word. "I-it's my fault. I tried to fight them, t-to protect Maya a-and you guys but I couldn't." Peter said, having tremors in his voice from fear and emotion.

"I-I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough." Peter whispered.

It came out almost too quiet to hear but they both heard it. Tony pulled out of The hug and held Peter's hand in his. "None of this is your fault. You hear me? None." He reassured.

"Why didn't you come find us? I know you could have if you wanted to." Steve said.

"I-I'm sorry." Peter whispered.

"It's okay but please tell us why." Steve pushed. Tony gave him a warning look stating for him to be patient.

"I-if I'm away from you guys then hydra won't look for you. Then you'll be safe and no one has to get hurt anymore. I'm sorry." Peter said slightly louder but still overly quiet.

That was it, Steve broke down.

He let tears fall.

Peter immediately felt guilty. "Sorry." He apologized again. Tony basically tackled him into another hug. Peter flinched but accepted it.